Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel - anyone into designing your own.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrane21
Hey could i get a quick peak under the hood of yours... i'm trying to figure out how to route mine under the hood and can't quite come up with a way.
Also, what did you use for a filter on it? A snorkel does still need a filter right?! haha
i got a good idea i just can't figure out how to route it under the hood!

Thanks!
I went in by the battery, turned the battery longways.
Went around battery, between it and the fusebox and into the exit port of stock airbox. I installed new exit port in lower half of airbox, and made a plate to block off old intake hole.
No pics, because the final metal piping isn't done yet, and it looks kinda sloppy right now.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Junkie

Default Inner Snork Pics

Here are the pics everyone requested of how the inside of the snorkel is routed. After weeks of testing, this is my final design.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great work under the hood man!!! looks factory.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

how did you make the new port on the air box? i am in the design stages for my own snorkel. i am attempting to mimic the RR design. im also thinking i may just try to find an airbox from another vehicle that will fit better and give me a little more space under the hood.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by XJ Kid 89
how did you make the new port on the air box? i am in the design stages for my own snorkel. i am attempting to mimic the RR design. im also thinking i may just try to find an airbox from another vehicle that will fit better and give me a little more space under the hood.
I used a 2 1/2" conduit pvc (grey) Male and female screw connections from Hardware store. I just cut a hole in the box with a utility knife, siliconed the edge and the pieces, and screwed them together. it gives you a port on inside and outside.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

did you notice any similarities between that and a CAI or ram air? like say the growl or increased throttle response? or maybe a negative effect like the air flow is more restricted?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a purely hypothetical (and probably naive) idea, but would it be possible to cut a hole in the firewall and route the air intake to draw from inside the cab? Would this be very loud? What would the drawback of cutting the firewall be?

I'm asking because I personally don't like how snorkels look and I need a solution to prevent hydrolocking my engine... again.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cyruspura
This is a purely hypothetical (and probably naive) idea, but would it be possible to cut a hole in the firewall and route the air intake to draw from inside the cab? Would this be very loud? What would the drawback of cutting the firewall be?

I'm asking because I personally don't like how snorkels look and I need a solution to prevent hydrolocking my engine... again.
I don't think that would be a "Healthy" idea. Just imagine a backfire from too rich a mixture spewing flames into the cab.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by XJ Kid 89
did you notice any similarities between that and a CAI or ram air? like say the growl or increased throttle response? or maybe a negative effect like the air flow is more restricted?
Definitely increased airflow.
You can just hear it breathing now.
Even more than basic CAI.
More throttle than CAI also
Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

awesome! i cant wait to do my own now. thanks for the help and ideas.

Quick Reply: Snorkel - anyone into designing your own.