Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel

Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyprc
I'm looking to buy my first snorkel. I don't have to much money to spend but I want something to keep me safe. Any ideas for the most cost effective snorkel?
Make one ....
Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Btw...

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
Apparently you're not getting too much help brother. Check out the modular Rugged Ridge snorkel, it looks nice and is on my list when they come out for the '12. I stalled going through a puddle in this JK after never seeing anything of the sort in 7 years of driving a silverado. The Rugged Ridge has no major cutting but you have to take off the fender to install. Your other main option is the ARB where you have to cut a hole in your hood, but everybody says its fine. The benefit of the rugged ridge is the modular aspect so you can run the low mount most of the time.
You didn't stall because of the water- you stalled because of your ESP system. You can turn it off in 4hi, it is off automatically in 4lo, and some of us have installed a switch to kill it in 2wd.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
He said COST EFFECTIVE... those are all around $400 and have smaller filters and the BIGGEST problem? THEY ARE NOT REBUILDABLE. You smack that plastic snork into a tree and your out ANOTHER $400 to replace it. Mine is modular, and BEEFY. When it gets tree bashed I just spray more bedliner on it.

When you get into Jeeping you have to decide if you want to bust your knuckles, or your Amex.
Easy with the caps lock there, your yelling is obnoxious. Yes I know, you made your own snorkel, you have been all over every snorkel thread since. I'm proud of you, but it has that distinct 'homemade' look that I don't care for personally. Have you seen the Rugged Ridge snorkel low mount? I don't think you're going to be smacking it on any trees... Lastly, $400 is a chunk of change for sure, but its goes to that 'do it right the first time' adage.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Default correction...

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
Easy with the caps lock there, your yelling is obnoxious. Yes I know, you made your own snorkel, you have been all over every snorkel thread since. I'm proud of you, but it has that distinct 'homemade' look that I don't care for personally. Have you seen the Rugged Ridge snorkel low mount? I don't think you're going to be smacking it on any trees... Lastly, $400 is a chunk of change for sure, but its goes to that 'do it right the first time' adage.
... every HOMEMADE snorkel thread since.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Default Options

I like the looks of the River Raider expedition snorkle.

Lot's of folks have found a made-in-china model on Ebay similar to the AEV model I think?

There a several threads on here for snorkels. Do a little research and check it out.

Don't forget the electric fan is notorious for getting fried in deep water!

And don't go ANY DEEPER than what you see in my profile photo!!!!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
He said COST EFFECTIVE... those are all around $400 and have smaller filters and the BIGGEST problem? THEY ARE NOT REBUILDABLE. You smack that plastic snork into a tree and your out ANOTHER $400 to replace it. Mine is modular, and BEEFY. When it gets tree bashed I just spray more bedliner on it.

When you get into Jeeping you have to decide if you want to bust your knuckles, or your Amex.
The Chinese AEV snorkel is cost effective.

I've never smashed my aev snorkel off a tree. If I did I'd probably smash the windshield too... Not sure I've ever seen pics of a ripped off AEV either.

Ps. It's nice you made your snorkel. To each his own. Personally I think it looks homemade and I would never put that on my jeep. It doesn't have flowing lines and nice contours to match the jeep

----
I say get the snorkel. Excellent peace of mind. Looks bad ass. People always ask me questions about it.

The breather tubes are $20 and an hour max of your time. Non consequential to your purchase.

I love that when I go into a puddle that was way deeper than I planned, my only concern is drying out the carpet and getting my shoes wet. No panic to shut the vehicle off, etc
Old 10-07-2012, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by crazymike

The Chinese AEV snorkel is cost effective.

I've never smashed my aev snorkel off a tree. If I did I'd probably smash the windshield too... Not sure I've ever seen pics of a ripped off AEV either.

Ps. It's nice you made your snorkel. To each his own. Personally I think it looks homemade and I would never put that on my jeep. It doesn't have flowing lines and nice contours to match the jeep

----
I say get the snorkel. Excellent peace of mind. Looks bad ass. People always ask me questions about it.

The breather tubes are $20 and an hour max of your time. Non consequential to your purchase.

I love that when I go into a puddle that was way deeper than I planned, my only concern is drying out the carpet and getting my shoes wet. No panic to shut the vehicle off, etc
Your windshield frame will take the brunt of a hard hit... mine is flat spotted- either way it was still $400 cheaper of a lesson.

And people ask where I bought my snorkel, never how I made it.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:16 AM
JK Junkie

I would say, "do the snorkel" I'm still waiting on ARB to release theirs for the 2012 & then I'll get one.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texwillys
I like the looks of the River Raider expedition snorkle.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
X2. A bit pricey, but I do like that look. Might could fab your own if you like the style.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Rugged Ridge is well priced, and can be low profile or a taller tube. Look them up, it may be the ticket for you. I had a chance to see one this weekend - looked good with the low profile one on it.

Quick Reply: Snorkel