Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel

Old 10-05-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel

I'm looking to buy my first snorkel. I don't have to much money to spend but I want something to keep me safe. Any ideas for the most cost effective snorkel?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd save your money and get something else for your Jeep. Snorkels look cool and help draw in clean air, but if your worried about getting water in your intake you'll also need to extend all your breather lines; and what are you going to do with all the electronics located under the hood? Good luck with the Jeep
Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's true. But I know people that have hydrolocked in very shallow puddles so it has me worried.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyprc
That's true. But I know people that have hydrolocked in very shallow puddles so it has me worried.
Not in a jeep? In a rice burner, very possible.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Idk If it just wasn't his day or what but he had puddle splash and it made its way into the airbox and hydrolocked
Old 10-05-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Default myth!

Originally Posted by ronin2120
I'd save your money and get something else for your Jeep. Snorkels look cool and help draw in clean air, but if your worried about getting water in your intake you'll also need to extend all your breather lines; and what are you going to do with all the electronics located under the hood? Good luck with the Jeep
The breather tube extensions are $13 from the hardware store, and the under hood electronics are sealed. Long term submersion in cold water will cause some things to fry, but were talking like 12+ hours in FRIGID water. Thats why we pressure wash our engine compartments.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Snorkel...

Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_2_20.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	374467

Mine was about $130 after the 12" K&N filter, breather extensions, and fiberglass/bedliner for aesthetics and strength. I love it, and I get sooooo many envious stares, nice cool air in my engine, clean air on dirt roads and a sealed intake for the trails! DO IT!

Trending Topics

Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Its true...

Originally Posted by Rich6700
Not in a jeep? In a rice burner, very possible.
... People driving FAST in long stretches of shallow water.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Apparently you're not getting too much help brother. Check out the modular Rugged Ridge snorkel, it looks nice and is on my list when they come out for the '12. I stalled going through a puddle in this JK after never seeing anything of the sort in 7 years of driving a silverado. The Rugged Ridge has no major cutting but you have to take off the fender to install. Your other main option is the ARB where you have to cut a hole in your hood, but everybody says its fine. The benefit of the rugged ridge is the modular aspect so you can run the low mount most of the time.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Not getting help?

He said COST EFFECTIVE... those are all around $400 and have smaller filters and the BIGGEST problem? THEY ARE NOT REBUILDABLE. You smack that plastic snork into a tree and your out ANOTHER $400 to replace it. Mine is modular, and BEEFY. When it gets tree bashed I just spray more bedliner on it.

When you get into Jeeping you have to decide if you want to bust your knuckles, or your Amex.

Quick Reply: Snorkel