Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snorkel?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tvan93
I think I am going to end up getting the eBay AEV, sorry to not support the real company, just too much $$$. And I am going to relocate all of my breathers to the air box. To me this just seems like the most logical option because all of the other spots seem to still have a chance of water making its way in. Plus I am very confident that the diff fluid is not going to expand into my air box.

As well is anyone running the snorkel with a drop in K&N, any increased power, throttle response, etc?
I have a drop in K&N. No real performance difference IMO. But I'd like to think the different screen material will keep water and other junk out of your engine a lot better
Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by antonioso
I was reading another thread where they were talking about the RR breather tubes and someone recomended using "Bellows" instead, would it be just as effective?

heres the thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Extension-kit
Bellows works good for small ATV axles. there might be too much air in ours to make one feasible. Also I think a bellows is more prone to failing compared to a tube.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mcmountainman

Hi Chris ,hope ya dont live downriver as I have a detonator yellow two door with an Ace front bumper too .Havent done the rest of your mods YET but going that direction next spring and summer !
Tom O.
Hey there!! Well the good thing about Jeeps is they never look alike from one to the next. Check out our Michigan BS thread at the great lakes staging area. Lots of very cool guys who live in our area
Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKred

The only reason id suggest not doing this is if you ever over fill any of your fluids you do to want to spray your air box with that stink. I know you say you're confident but it can happen pretty easily if you're not careful.

Bellows caps sound like a good idea, since they would leave it sealed but allow the expansion and contraction, my only concern would be, again, an overfill situation an how that would affect the caps. Oil isn't as forgiving as air, and you could rupture a bellows without knowing.
Hard to overfill the diffs especially of you have the stock diff covers. They start to weep the minute you hit the max mark. The rest of the fluids have dip sticks and sight marks too right?
Old 12-08-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah for stock covers, almost all aftermarket covers you have to check tho.

And yes the tranny (at least my manual) and tcase have fill holes, fill till it weeps.
does the manual tranny have a breather tube? I thought on manuals its only the 2 diffs and the transfer case
Old 12-08-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sneck

does the manual tranny have a breather tube? I thought on manuals its only the 2 diffs and the transfer case
I think the manual tranny doesn't have a breather tube. Someone with a manual will have to chime in.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

I thought so? I haven't tried extending that so I'm unsure, I just did my axles...
The tranny and tcase breathers are right around the same height as the axle breathers so if water can get into the axles, it'll get into the tcase and tranny too. Would be good insurance to just take care of all four and route em to the airbox.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Default Need snorkel

Just hydrolcked my motor. Splashed thru 10" of water 45' across, it filled up my stock airbox and bent a con rod. Thank goodness for my insurance ( Hartford Group ) they will cover the engine damage with a $500.00 deductible. Estimate of $ 4500.00 for a replacement engine. These jeeps need a better intake to the airbox. I will be snorkeling it as soon as it is out of the shop. 07 Rubicon, 3" lift, 33" tires, 9500 winch
Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

where do the stock breather tube go to?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tvan93
I think I am going to end up getting the eBay AEV, sorry to not support the real company, just too much $$$.
FWIW, check w/ the eBay seller to make sure it comes with everything you need. Someone posted on the AEV forum that they got an eBay snorkel that was just the knock-off snorkel -- none of the brackets to mount it, or the bezel to make the hood cut look good. AEV doesn't appear to sell the brackets/bezel separately.

Quick Reply: Snorkel?