Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snapped Front Axle Housing on Trail!! - suggestions?

Old 07-12-2015, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapped Front Axle Housing on Trail!! - suggestions?

So..... I guess I was just on borrowed time with my Dana 30 and 35's, I wheel responsibly and I only have 30k miles on it , but I snapped the f*cking thing on the trail this weekend!

Anyways, got a tow truck up there, but we mutually decided that it would cause way more damage towing it out then if I just replace the axle. So right now my thought is to find a used, junked d30 or d44 housing and take it up and put it on so I can get the jeep home. Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't I just pull the inner shafts, pull the drive shaft, remove the axle housing, put on the replacement, and just leave it in 2wd? I don't need to put gears or shafts back in to drive it home? This of course is assuming i didn't bend or break anything else under there.

What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated. Also anyone know where I can get a axle housing cheap in the denver area?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	File Jul 12, 1 16 34 PM.jpeg
Views:	1938
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	617605   Click image for larger version

Name:	File Jul 12, 1 14 43 PM.jpeg
Views:	1911
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	617609  
Old 07-12-2015, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Same spot they all break at. There are quite a few posts of people using ratchet straps to keep the housing together long enough to get off the trail.

If you swap housings, yes, you can run just the empty housing with no problems.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Might be easier to hire a welder to come up and patch it together till you can get it on a trailer.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
Might be easier to hire a welder to come up and patch it together till you can get it on a trailer.
I have done some pretty good welding with 3 car batteries. I'd weld it up and bring her home.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Sorry to hear about your break. I am in the process of finishing my build and will have a Dana 30 if you can wait a few weeks. I am guessing this is your DD, but if you can wait and want it let me know.
Not looking for anything, just want to help a fellow Jeeper.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for your input, I contacted a mobile welder to see if he could help out, still might try and do a swap on the trail, we'll see
Old 07-12-2015, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by thegoat
Sorry to hear about your break. I am in the process of finishing my build and will have a Dana 30 if you can wait a few weeks. I am guessing this is your DD, but if you can wait and want it let me know. Not looking for anything, just want to help a fellow Jeeper.
Thanks for your offer! Unfortunately I can't wait a couple of weeks, it's my dd and I need to get it off the trail. End game once I get it back to my garage is a prorock44. But seriously thanks!
Old 07-12-2015, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsnyda
Thanks for your offer! Unfortunately I can't wait a couple of weeks, it's my dd and I need to get it off the trail. End game once I get it back to my garage is a prorock44. But seriously thanks!
That sucks.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jsnyda
No worries, I figured it was your DD. Offer stands if you need it, just PM me.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you have any reinforcement on it? Sleeves, gussets, etc?

Quick Reply: Snapped Front Axle Housing on Trail!! - suggestions?