Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smoother riding 2" lift

Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoother riding 2" lift

I have a leveling kit and stock tires on by unlimited rubicon right now, and its beating me to death on the roads around here. I used to have a long arm TJ, and it was so much smoother. I remember OME used to have the smoothest springs and shocks, and that still seems to be the consensus. The only other set up I was looking at was Tera 2.5" coils and Old Man Emu shocks.

Regarding the OME kit, I definitely don't need all the lift that the HD coils provide, I'm looking for more of the same amount of lift as the Tera 2.5" coils. So should I go with with light duty coils or medium duty coils? I have no idea which the "Standard" coils are that Northridge offers, I will have to ask David. Would the long travel shocks be too much for that small of a lift? Any difference in ride with the long travel shocks? Flex is great, but I don't need a huge amount of travel around here, I need a smoother ride first.

I'm also open to other suggestions. Before someone mentions tires I'm running the stock Rubi MT's at 28-29 psi.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, any more opinions?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running the Tera 2.5" with OME shocks on my JK unlimited. I'm very happy with the ride quality.

I added a Tera front adjustable track bar and Tera front lower control arms and the Jeep handles great. Worth the money in my opinion.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

I put an OME lift on my 08 4dr Rubicon. 618 & 619 springs(HD), std OME shocks and the OME rear track bar bracket. ARB ft & rear bumpers were already installed so it had that extra weight before the lift. This all resulted in a 2.25" net lift. By net I mean it lifted the front about 4" and the back about 2.25". The first 2" in the front levels the jeep and then you get about 2" more in front and back. Two days latter I drove about 200 miles on an ice covered I-40 out of Amarillo towards Albuquerque. No problems.

We have had the same setup (OME lift and ARB bumpers) on a 97 LR Disco for years with great results. The bumpers have paid for themselves many times over because other vehicles bounce right off!

For your case I'd suggest going with either of David's@ Northridge4X4 suggestions.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Rubicon Express 2" BB with mono-shocks must smoother than stock shocks. If you are planning on heavier bumpers and winch I would suggest you look at coil spring lift kit.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah I have spacers now, so I'm definately looking to do coil lift, just debating on which coils and which shocks. Tera vs. OME coils, OME standard vs. OME long travel shocks, OME standard coils vs HD coils(which I heard were stiffer than stock???). Plus any other options,(thanks planman, i'll look into skyjacker shocks)
Old 03-16-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ncsu
Yeah I have spacers now, so I'm definately looking to do coil lift, just debating on which coils and which shocks. Tera vs. OME coils, OME standard vs. OME long travel shocks, OME standard coils vs HD coils(which I heard were stiffer than stock???). Plus any other options,(thanks planman, i'll look into skyjacker shocks)
I am going with the OME HD coils with the extra weight and future 35's. I heard the HD has a fairly smooth ride once you add the weight
Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am partial to OME stuff (see sig). If you go OME, sounds like you would be very happy with their medium duty coils with the standard (yellow) shocks.

Another great alternative to achieve 2" of lift is the Rusty's 2" with coils. Cheap as hell and a lot of people here rave about the ride.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
I am going with the OME HD coils with the extra weight and future 35's. I heard the HD has a fairly smooth ride once you add the weight
I has a VERY smooth ride once weight is added. I didn't realize how smooth until I added my rear bumper/carrier. It approaches car-like in terms of softness over bumps.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

How much lift am I looking at with the Medium coils on an Unlimited with light duty bumpers and a winch? Debating now between 34" and 35" tires, however, still trying to go with the least amount of lift possible to clear the tires properly. And how much lift is too much for the standard(non long travel OME shocks)? Likewise, how much is too little for the long travel shocks?

Quick Reply: Smoother riding 2" lift