Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

SmittyBuilt Rear Bumper

Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SmittyBuilt Rear Bumper

I'm looking to purchase a SmittyBuilt rear bumper with tire carrier. I'm trying to save some money so I want to install myself since the guy who wants to install it for me wants $250+ in labor. Is it difficult to install? And also in the instructions on step 2:

Do i have to drill into the frame? Or are there bolts there to drill out?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those look like the hitch mounting holes to me? Haven't installed one but I wouldn't think it would be too hard.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to drill out the far right hole on mine bigger since I couldn't get the bolt to line up but otherwise wouldn't pay someone 250$ to do that
Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed mine by myself with no issues. Did not have to drill out anything. Everything lined up and bolted up fine. Definately not woth paying someone $250 to do it!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did mine in 30 minutes on 2012. No issues at all. Just helps to have second person to lift into place and hold while you bolt.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

do it yourself if you have a garage/driveway/parking lot so that you can save money for mods. drilling into the stock bumper support is easy, its not thick. use a floor jack and position the bumper in the middle to raise it into place. you'll be happier when you mount it on yourself!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Well did not do it in 30 minutes...But definetly do it yourself...Having 2 people definetly helps...
I had to drill only 1 hole out...It is tricky to align and get them bolts thru...BE PATIENT...
Remember at th starting of the instructions the plates that you put in the crossmembers
turn them around...It will bring your bumper down about a 1/2 inch so it does not hit the body...
there is a thread on this and it works i had to take mine off to switch the plates around...
Besides that everything bolts up good you have to align also the tire carrier i used 2nd last hole
from bottom...Depends i guess what size tire you have...The brake light wire as to be put a little longer
also...Did mine with a friend in about 2 hours...Make sure evrything is tight afterwards...Go get him...

Old 08-01-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 12 Arctic Unlimited
Well did not do it in 30 minutes...But definetly do it yourself...Having 2 people definetly helps...
I had to drill only 1 hole out...It is tricky to align and get them bolts thru...BE PATIENT...
Remember at th starting of the instructions the plates that you put in the crossmembers
turn them around...It will bring your bumper down about a 1/2 inch so it does not hit the body...
there is a thread on this and it works i had to take mine off to switch the plates around...
Besides that everything bolts up good you have to align also the tire carrier i used 2nd last hole
from bottom...Depends i guess what size tire you have...The brake light wire as to be put a little longer
also...Did mine with a friend in about 2 hours...Make sure evrything is tight afterwards...Go get him...

Looks nice! What exhaust is that?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do it ur self, its a easy one. No drilling required for me.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Scott08X
I installed mine by myself with no issues. Did not have to drill out anything. Everything lined up and bolted up fine. Definately not woth paying someone $250 to do it!
Ditto!

Quick Reply: SmittyBuilt Rear Bumper