Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt XRC front bumper install trouble...HELP!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt XRC front bumper install trouble...HELP!

So, I got my XRC front bumper in today. Got the stock one off, got it mounted up no problem with the 8 bolts through the stock tow hook holes as per the instructions. The mounting flanges are snug and tight with no gaps and its bolted down tightly...

I then went to secure the bottom using the 4 carriage bolts through the crossmember. You have to drill the 1/2" holes through the crossmember. Problem is my 4 square holes dont line up with the crossmember. They all line up under it and the holes would enter the crossmember at the bent portion toward the front. WTF am I supposed to do. I tried smacking it w/ a BFH and its not budging. Did anyone else have this problem? Could somebody take some side shots of theirs so I can see how far off I am?

Anyway, I'd read of issues with the rear bumper and the side bars, but thought most werent having issues with the front. Hoping somebody can help me out.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

I got the XRC on my 07 and I have the same problem. Only 2 out of 4 of the carriage bolts actually line up on the cross member and the 2 that line up don't mate up very well. Really just there for show at this point.

I did the best I could and ignored the rest. I've put some real stresses on that bumper and haven't had any problems, I've snapped several pull ropes rated at 5-7k lbs and that bumper has never budged. If you're really concerned about it then contact smittybilt and ask them what to do or you can take the bumper to a welder and have them add a couple inches of material to the built in skid so you got the overlap you need.

If you weld then make a note of where other bolts and moving components are at. You don't want to weld on a plate and then find the plate interferes with something when installed.

On another note, I got the XRC rear bumper and the 10k winch from smittybilt. Everything was very inexpensive and built to be tough but the instructions sometimes suck and nothing has ever installed without some sort of spacing issue or incorrect instructions. These are just the signatures of Smittybilt.

Last edited by johnwaynejeep; 10-06-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Doesnt matter, it's a solid 1/2" off. It's hitting the crossmember at the bend place toward the front.

Talked to a rep from Smittybilt. Told him the issue. He puts me on hold and then first thing he said is "is it a two door?" I said yeah, and he said that the crossmember on the two doors is slightly farther back than on the Unlimited. He said that I should still be able to drill the center 2 holes and secure them with the carriage bolts despite it being on the bent portion of the crossmember.

I dont know how the fudge your supposed to center punch a hole on the bent portion of that crossmember, but either I'm lacking the proper tools or know how. As of now I have 4 blank holes down there. Id like to at least get the center two in somehow, but Im not sure how im gonna do it.

Last edited by JKMudder; 10-06-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnwaynejeep
I got the XRC on my 07 and I have the same problem. Only 2 out of 4 of the carriage bolts actually line up on the cross member and the 2 that line up don't mate up very well. Really just there for show at this point.

I did the best I could and ignored the rest. I've put some real stresses on that bumper and haven't had any problems, I've snapped several pull ropes rated at 5-7k lbs and that bumper has never budged. If you're really concerned about it then contact smittybilt and ask them what to do or you can take the bumper to a welder and have them add a couple inches of material to the built in skid so you got the overlap you need.

If you weld then make a note of where other bolts and moving components are at. You don't want to weld on a plate and then find the plate interferes with something when installed.
Thanks for the reply. Makes me feel better anyway.

Yeah, I have no doubt the bumper is solid. Still, details like this bug the shit outta me. Now that I know its a common issue Ill be alright as long as I can get those center two holes in.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think most people including myself just leave those bolts out. I may go back one day and try and put them on but the bumper is solid as hell without them in.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did the Smittybilt SCR Rear and It went pretty well...sorry you are having issues
Old 10-06-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I left those bolts out, it's solid without them and don't think it's going anywhere.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnwaynejeep
On another note, I got the XRC rear bumper and the 10k winch from smittybilt. Everything was very inexpensive and built to be tough but the instructions sometimes suck and nothing has ever installed without some sort of spacing issue or incorrect instructions. These are just the signatures of Smittybilt.

Yeah, Ive read up and I have the SRC rocker guards that were somewhat difficult to get into place so I knew what I was getting into. They make good stuff, and its fairly high quality materials, the fit is just lacking sometimes.

Seriously, in this instance the problem could be so easily solved since they know the issue. Just stretch the design 1/2" or so farther and give another set of square holes then specify in the directions which to use for 2 vs. 4 door applications. Problem solved.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Luckily i've had a lot of luck with smittybily. My SRC rock rails were bending when hi-lifted (Which is expected for $240 rock rails) but smitty sent me brand new XRC rails free of charge and i must say those are very well built and installation went without a breeze. Also got a free pair of both front and rear seat covers since mine torn a little bit after a few months. If you do have a problem call Smitty and ask for Ray, great service and nothing but a big help

Just got the same Smittybilt SRC 76722 Bumper. Was able to rip my stock bumper off and install the new smitty one on my half hour lunch break at work.

Sorry to hear you guys have so much problems.

Edit: fyi i never bothered installing those 4 bolts into the cross member. Ive been towed out using the Tow hooks on the bumper with no issues yet

Last edited by Croce; 10-06-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got the same issue with the 4 hole under and my jk is a 4 door and I got a 12 000 lbs winch I dont wanna mess up my bumper when Im ussing my winch cause I dont have put does 4 bolt

Quick Reply: Smittybilt XRC front bumper install trouble...HELP!