Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

smittybilt xrc bumper/tire carrier

Old 11-02-2013, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smittybilt xrc bumper/tire carrier

Purchased the bumpers few weeks ago install was easy and fast. Got the tire carrier today and nothing lined up the latch required and hour of grinding on the arm so the latch would line up correctly. The post that holds the arm needed grinding to get the ring to seat in proper position by the zerk fitting. Still have to lift the arm up a little bit to get it to latch and lock into place. Did any one else run into these problems when installing these parts. Any solutions or mods that make it better?
Old 11-02-2013, 10:44 PM
JK Newbie

This is a known issue with Smittybilt, they switched to a Chinese manufacturer that failed to weld things properly. I ended up returning mine till I got one with proper welding measurements but it is still a bit off. The only way to adjust the arm height is the two screws on the hinge though it isn't very reliable. I would suggest contacting Smittybilt and complaining since it is a known problem. Also be careful, the bumper itself tends to dig into the body of car along the edges of the rear of the car.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Default I knew the chinese had some thing to do with it.

I made it work. Already ground down the parts. Think they will still replace it ?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Default xrc bumper

I noticed that on a few jeeps the bumper causing damage to the body. Really dont want to argue with people on the phone about quality of their work. But quess I have to. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact u have to slightly lift the carrier to latch it is a benefit I think. Really locks the assembly tight, no play, no vibration, no chance it could come open. Even if somehow, miraculojsly the metal pin closure snapped or sheared off.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah I just hste the fact I spent over 900.00 and had to take a grinder to it for an hour or so to make it all work. The arm was way to long to allow to line up with the hole. The arm would not clesr the stem cover and the c clip would not seat properly. Any way I made it all work. And did it my self. If I ever have to purchase another one I will just take it back over and over till it fits.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Everything went fine on mine, simply have to losen and adjust the arm a couple times and the handle insert and play with that.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Smittybilt knows about the problem, they admitted it to me when I spoke with them. They also should cover the bumper even with the modifications since according to the fine print its still under warranty.

I would try and get them to replace it if possible since you don't know the condition of the weld for the tire carrier arm. Great looking bumper but with all the manufacturing issues I'm not sure if I would go with them again.

Quick Reply: smittybilt xrc bumper/tire carrier