Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt XRC Atlas Bumpers

Old 02-15-2014 | 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats wrong with Smittybilt and their latches. Its not that complicated.
Old 02-15-2014 | 05:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine has been on a month now, no new issues that haven't been previously discussed. I had to shim the striker pin, just like the others. I did go a different route with the CHMSL, I bought a Rugged Ridge riser that kept the CHMSL on the tailgate. So far, I like this bumper a lot. To be able to carry my spare and two jerry cans was my requirement, without spending $3,000. This bumper fit the bill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (2).jpg
Views:	841
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	531194
Old 02-16-2014 | 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Mine has been on a month now, no new issues that haven't been previously discussed. I had to shim the striker pin, just like the others. I did go a different route with the CHMSL, I bought a Rugged Ridge riser that kept the CHMSL on the tailgate. So far, I like this bumper a lot. To be able to carry my spare and two jerry cans was my requirement, without spending $3,000. This bumper fit the bill.

Attachment 531194
I agree, the bumper is great other than the non functioning latch. Fit and finish, design is the best I could find on the market currently. Unfortunately, like lots of things produced in third world countries... the entire product is ruined by a non-functioning UNSAFE tire carrier gate latch. I was playing around with it and the latch has two stages. The first stage, the two teeth close around the pin partially. This is how mine works now. That is insufficient to keep it closed as with a little bouncing or pulling on it and it opens. The second stage as I tested it (open) with my fingers closing both teeth it locks securely and completely surrounds the latch pin. If the second stage would work it would be perfect.

Can you reach your finger in behind the latch on yours and determine whether or not the teeth are closing completely to the second stage locking position?
Old 02-20-2014 | 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Ok I called smittybilt. The guy I talked said to loosen the 4 latch bolts and push the latch towards the pin. I did this while holding a screwdriver against it for leverage. It worked. Should have thought to do this myself. Sigh. So the atlas bumper is back to 4.9 stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2014 | 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

those running this, does it rattle?

And the main reason I want it...the fuel can carriers.do they hold the newer US plastic style jerry cans (US MFC)? They show holding the the NATO style metal ones. the capacity is the same (20L = 5+ish gals) and I think the ext dimensions are negilible.

Also, any 1 added over tire cargo rack to tailgate using this carrier that pushes the tire furhter rearward? doe sit look ok?
Old 04-03-2014 | 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Mine does not rattle. I don't have jerry cans yet but I imagine the one u r referencing would fit.

Old 04-03-2014 | 07:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine does not rattle, and has been trouble-free since install. I will be running the Mojave Road next week and will report on its function over that route afterwards.
Old 04-04-2014 | 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Plenty of space for cans.

Old 04-04-2014 | 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

It comes with the jack mounts too which was a nice surprise for me.

Old 04-04-2014 | 07:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BombJock
If a US company made a bumper that had these features, I would consider them. So far, this is the only bumper I have seen that has these options. I just traded in my '11 and got a '14. I am starting over on my build. If a US company has something similar, ping me and I will consider your product.
Shrockworks makes a setup for the rear that has most of the same features as the Smitty, and they're in Houston. Only downside to Shrockworks is everything is made to order, so it can take a LONG time to receive your gear.

Sent via Jeep wave from my NSA-approved domestic espionage device

Quick Reply: Smittybilt XRC Atlas Bumpers