Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt Vs. Rugged Ridge rear bumpers

Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the XRC bumper and tire carrier pictured and LOVE it! No rattles what so ever. Bumper install was simple, only needed help to lift new one in place while bolting it in. 35" tire fits great.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenMachine10

Hey I have the RR with a carrier and I have a 35 inch tire on the back, BUT the damn three prong holder will not accept wheel lugs. I have to use locking nuts which come loose and the wheel wobbles. Any suggestions or similar problems??
Honestly I haven't had this problem. The only problem I had was getting the dang tire off by myself. I think the weight of the tire pushing against the lugs keeps it tight which made it hard to remove off the carrier. Keep me posted if anything changes that way I can keep an eye out on mine.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Aight, so I've got the Smittybilt XRC Rear bumper with tire carrier.

I have alot of rattle while driving.
Ive Spoken to the Smittybilt techs and they told me to tight up the bolts on the swingpost til it's hard to open and shut the gate...
It DID lessen the rattling, BUT it's a freakin pain in the butt to open and close now!

Anyone else have rattle problems with their XRC bumper????
Old 01-27-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Smittybilt without the tire carrier. Is that what you're interested in ? Been on my Jeep a little over two years. No issues other than a little movement after dragging the trailer hitch in Moab. I like that it's only as wide as the body. Bought it when I thought I wouldn't need a new tire carrier. Ha! Now I need a carrier to support Pitbull Rockers on Hutchinson beadlocks. I'll buy another Smittybilt with the tire carrier.

Last edited by Tired Bear; 01-27-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Naw I've go the xrc WITH tire carrier, I love it, but got that damn rattle. Lookin for other people that may have run ino somethin similar
Old 01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the RR with tire carrier, great bumper with out the carrier. The tire carrier is just garbage in my opinion.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tired Bear
I have the Smittybilt without the tire carrier. Is that what you're interested in ? Been on my Jeep a little over two years. No issues other than a little movement after dragging the trailer hitch in Moab. I like that it's only as wide as the body. Bought it when I thought I wouldn't need a new tire carrier. Ha! Now I need a carrier to support Pitbull Rockers on Hutchinson beadlocks. I'll buy another Smittybilt with the tire carrier.
i think you can order just the tire carrier to add to your bumper, they have separate part numbers...
Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the RR w/carrier. I originally wanted the Smitty but it was on back order so I changed my order. The biggest difference is the width. The RR is full width and the XRC is body width. Both had a reputation of bad carrier issues. Mine had no issues and no rattles at all. I must have gotten a "good one". Very happy with it so far.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

I've got the RR w/tire carrier.

It was super easy to install.

One thing I did after setting the wheel depth, on the holder, I had the bracket welded because no matter how tight the bolts were it would slip after some rough wheeling.

Also, this thing is bullet proof, some jack ass in a 535 BMW rear-ended me pretty hard. While it totaled the front of his car, RR had only a few scratches.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

I have the XRC with the tire carrier and really like it zero rattles but have it set up pretty darn tight.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt Vs. Rugged Ridge rear bumpers