Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt Tire Carrier

Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt Tire Carrier

I have been looking at tire carrier options for some time now and I think that the Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier might be right for me, but I would like some advice from you guys, especially those with personal experience with it.

Im going to be purchasing come 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs on 17" XD Addicts. I won't be going offroad much and I wanna know if y'all think that the tire carrier will be able to support the tailgate without hurting my hinges.

P.S. I've looked at the Teraflex HD Carrier but don't really want to spend $700 right now.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

You nailed it with the ps, I am sold on the Teraflex mount, factory look and function and single motion. I was also looking at the smittybilt carrier but worried that anybody can open it and unbolt the rim holder
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 PM
JK Super Freak

You're talking about the carrier that's around $130? I have had it for around 6 months now, works great. I wheel often too and haven't had any problems with it.

When I was considering it, I did some searches for it. Found a bunch of people with it and zero complaints.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 AM
JK Super Freak

I had the Smittybilt tire carrier for a 315 tire...Seem to hold up o-k...Just remember that extra weight you have on
the back...In time it will take it's toll for sure...saved up and got Smittybilt XRC front & back...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

It will be better than the stock carrier for sure but the weight is still being distributed throughout the thin metal on the tailgate. Eventually the welds with start popping and sag out of the tailgate. You can go with just the TF Hinges for around $470 and wait later for the adjustable carrier piece. You can use the stock carrier with the TF HD Hinges w/ up to a 35" tire. I'm actually going through the same process of searching for the best spare carrier option and will either go with the TF or just spend a little more and get the PSC Brawler lite w/ tire carrier since I plan on getting the Brawler lite rear anyways.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt Tire Carrier