Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt tailgate G.E.A.R. installed... my impressions...

Old 09-18-2011, 10:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered this thing a few months ago with the smitty seat cover and when I took it out of the box it looked like cooked bacon. I tried screwing it onto a piece of plywood and stretching the wrinkles out but as soon as I took it off, it went right back. I'm worried about not being able to screw it on to the tailgate tight enough so it won't sag. Anyone else have problems like that or do you just start at one corner and hope for the best?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by biker2jeeper
I ordered this thing a few months ago with the smitty seat cover and when I took it out of the box it looked like cooked bacon. I tried screwing it onto a piece of plywood and stretching the wrinkles out but as soon as I took it off, it went right back. I'm worried about not being able to screw it on to the tailgate tight enough so it won't sag. Anyone else have problems like that or do you just start at one corner and hope for the best?
Mine was rolled up and was pretty persistent on staying that way.

I started at one corner and then used a center punch in the next and subsequent holes to both stretch it tight and mark the next hole location. Mine is super tight. Almost too tight...getting things mounted takes a little muscle..
Old 09-19-2011, 02:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by biker2jeeper
Yep, mine came the same way. I laid it in direct sunlight to help heat it up. Then I started at one end and worked my accross. It is a little stressful drilling into the gate, but, I am very happy with the outcome.

Good luck -
Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Location: Oeiras Portugal Now - but from New Jersey USA originally
Default Just ordered mine tonight...

I was looking for more convenient storage of everyday stuff like jumper cables, 1st aid kit, window cleaner and rags, etc... in the back of my new JK then just strapping some boxes to the floor so this tailgate GEAR setup sounded like a good idea... some mixed review but more were positive so i took the plunge... I've had my JK all of 2 weeks so drilling into the metal is a concern but plan to hit all the drill spots with some rust-o-leum or similar. I just ordered the setup tonight so was wondering if anyone had any 'heads-up' regarding the install...

I've heard that some people received a scrunched up ball of material and had to fight with it some... OK I can deal with that... what about the screw-in method or rivet method? I don't have a rivet gun but could borrow one...

And lastly what about other bags... I did not see other bags anywhere in case I want to change out a small one for a big one or reverse...???

thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should be able to find near unlimited different bags. Look for airsoft places online or just searchmolle. This condor is one manufacturer that springs to mind. Ops gear also springs to mind.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know on having to drill into the gate. I am just about to order one, not that it will change my mind.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep install.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	282668

I did not like the cheap self taping screws that came with the kit so i drilled out larger holes and used 3/8 rivets and i think if they ever go bad ill use nut certs...

My came from quadratec rolled up like a blanket so it was kinda a pain to get to lay flat!!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Did you ever figure out the popping noise?
I installed mine today on a '12, tight fit and straight. I used some velcro around the edges.
I also removed the arm and reinstalled it on top of the cover.
Now I get a "pop" noise. It's from where the arm bracket screws in (and over the cover) to the tailgate. After shutting the door once, when reopening it 90 degrees, the bracket screws will come loose a little and the bracket will pivot and hit the tailgate making the pop sound. Once when opening and once when closing.

Any ideas on how to fix it?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by prorsx
Attachment 282668

I did not like the cheap self taping screws that came with the kit so i drilled out larger holes and used 3/8 rivets and i think if they ever go bad ill use nut certs...

My came from quadratec rolled up like a blanket so it was kinda a pain to get to lay flat!!
I also riveted mine. I broke half of the screws that came with it in half. After half of it was mounted I said hell with it and went back and riveted them. I used the correct drill bit, but they were just that cheap. I like the looks of the rivets anyway.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by prorsx
Attachment 282668

In the spring, I am going to install Nutcerts when I bedline the inside of the tailgate. So glad my wife got this for me for Christmas a few years ago. The big bag holds a ton of stuff.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt tailgate G.E.A.R. installed... my impressions...