Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt tailgate G.E.A.R. installed... my impressions...

Old 09-15-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt tailgate G.E.A.R. installed... my impressions...

Trying to maximize storage in the two door JK so I decided to install the GEAR setup on the rear gate..

I've seen many pics here of this kit installed and knew I want to be sure to install the gate panel really tight so it wouldn't sag. So I started at the top corner and then stretched it tight to each of the other corners.. came out fine. With the two bags that came with the kit attached and loaded up, there is not sag at all.

The larger of the two bags swallows a ton of gear.

I decided to use attach the smaller of the two bags using GrimLoc clips so I could easily remove the bag if I had to since I've loaded that bag with items that I would want to take with me if I left the jeep someplace for service or needed the gear in another car.

The kit for the JK isn't optimized for the 2011.. The gate panel is a rectangle sized to fit the full inside of the gate. The 2011 has the arm that holds the gate open and GEAR panel doesn't fint on the gate. I decided to remove the arms mounting bolts first, and install it back over the Gear panel. I'll post pics tomorrow..

The only negartive so far is that somehow, likely when I was drilling the holes for the mounting screws, I hyper-extended the rear gate and now the arm that olds the gate open clicks loudly when I open the gate fully. I have to take it apart to figure out what I did to it...
Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine does the same. Right from the dealer.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:50 AM
JK Freak

Give it a couple days and post what you think. I have been going back and forth on getting one.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:51 AM
JK Freak

Mine makes the same noise from the dealership. I installed the Smittybilt Tailgate G.E.A.R. also and love it...

Oh, and I use the large bag for my cover. It fits perfectly.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:11 AM
JK Super Freak

The gate now opens past 90 degrees.. not far enough that the stop-cord stops it, but certainly more than it did... It didn't make the clicking noise until I pushed on it, so I am pissed at myself.

I am going to tear it apart to see what's going on.

The G.E.A.R. setup is cool. I used some ball bungies to strap a few things on, but the GrimLoc clips are really useful for hooking stuff in between the bags, like the recovery strap and such. I am going to look for some cheap small M.O.L.L.E. bags. I would rather have a whole bunch of small bags than dump a shit load of stuff into the large bag. Hmmm...wonder if the Freedom top storage bag will fit in the large bag?

All in all, it's a keeper.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Need pictures!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Running Man
Need pictures!
Today... got the camera with me.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Here is mine just after I installed it. There is now a knife attached to the large bag. I am really happy with it. However, I was a little freaked out about drilling into a brand new vehicle.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0418.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	211431
Old 09-16-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Evo35
However, I was a little freaked out about drilling into a brand new vehicle.Attachment 211431

I hear ya dude.. it all reminded me of my 1st tattoo - once you cross that line, it's all about more and more. Now i'm drilling all kinds of shit on my jeep when the mod requires it!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dgnr8
I hear ya dude.. it all reminded me of my 1st tattoo - once you cross that line, it's all about more and more. Now i'm drilling all kinds of shit on my jeep when the mod requires it!

Nice rig. Your list is extensive. Mine is mostly cosmetic. At the moment...

I have a custom soft top on order. After that - Dura trac's (can't wait...), then lift, then hmmm..... (mo money...)

Quick Reply: Smittybilt tailgate G.E.A.R. installed... my impressions...