Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt stuff

Old 04-06-2016, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a Smittybilt SRC front bumper and love it. It looks great, and I have used it on multiple occasions to slide the front up onto rock that was taller than then the bumper. No deformation at all. I've pulled a jeep that went sideways in a ravine out by sliding it on it's side back out so we could tip it back onto the rubber side. The SRC and X20 Gen 2 Comp handled that and other recoveries like a champ, again with no deformation or issue. The biggest issue I have is that these folks (all of them) have not yet invented a magical rock proof paint or powder coat! I just keep spraying with some bed liner and VHT chassis paint and you can barely tell.

I have no fear of SB steel products. Now, that being said, some of the other stuff they make is pure trash. You can bend their folding in half with your hands. Seat covers will bleach out from the sun in 6 months or less, guaranteed or you get your money back! Soft top replacements don't fit like BesTop/factory and look funky. But the 3/16" steel works like any other 3/16" steel.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking about purchase the Smittybilt X20 12k Winch currently and tring it out. Seems to have very good reviews and 5 year warranty on electronics and lifetime on the mechanical parts.

For half or less of Warn I could buy two if the first one breaks after 5 years... lol
Old 04-06-2016, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Extremneon,

Make sure you buy the add on warranty from 4WD/4WP if you live near enough to a retail store so that you don't have to play the game shipping back and forth for repairs if something does go wrong. I guess you can't buy into that upgraded warranty if you don't live close enough to walk in and trade out the winch for a new unit.

I have the X2O Gen 2 Comp series and it works great, and as one would expect. The wiring is like it was designed to be installed into the JK, but with extra length. At this point, I would recommend this winch and I would buy another if I were in the market. I believe I got it on sale at $600 (I think $650 was regular price)plus a free Smittybilt XRC winch cover.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an X20 Comp Gen 2 winch and love it. I've used it MANY times to get someone unstuck (including myself).

I did not buy an extended warranty. However, here's an interesting story.

When my son and I installed the winch, one of us (I blame him) cross threaded one of the bolts for the power leads on the back of the winch body. I called SB and asked if they could send me just the stud for the ground lug (it screws into the body). I gave them my address. They sent me a whole new winch. That's right, a whole new winch for a mistake my son (*cough*) made. And to this date, 2 years later, they have never asked for the old one back. So I gave it to a former coworker.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I have an X20 Comp Gen 2 winch and love it. I've used it MANY times to get someone unstuck (including myself).

I did not buy an extended warranty. However, here's an interesting story.

When my son and I installed the winch, one of us (I blame him) cross threaded one of the bolts for the power leads on the back of the winch body. I called SB and asked if they could send me just the stud for the ground lug (it screws into the body). I gave them my address. They sent me a whole new winch. That's right, a whole new winch for a mistake my son (*cough*) made. And to this date, 2 years later, they have never asked for the old one back. So I gave it to a former coworker.

Same type of story. I have their rear Atlas bumper. Had it about 11 months when the Jerry can bases began rubbing the bumper. Sent pics, etc. and they sent a whole new bumper. Only stipulation is that I can't sell the old one. So I gave it to a buddy.

I'm all for it. I think that the only flak people will get is for not buying American. Well, unfortunately, I have to pick and choose. My iphone isn't made in the US, nor are my TV's, my sneakers probably aren't, heck, even this Dell keyboard I'm typing on probably isn't made in the US...It is what it is.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue
Same type of story. I have their rear Atlas bumper. Had it about 11 months when the Jerry can bases began rubbing the bumper. Sent pics, etc. and they sent a whole new bumper. Only stipulation is that I can't sell the old one. So I gave it to a buddy.

I'm all for it. I think that the only flak people will get is for not buying American. Well, unfortunately, I have to pick and choose. My iphone isn't made in the US, nor are my TV's, my sneakers probably aren't, heck, even this Dell keyboard I'm typing on probably isn't made in the US...It is what it is.
There's a full Atlas bumper on Craigslist for $750 obo
I think Oklahoma
Old 04-06-2016, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to get too deep in the weeds on buying choices, but I would lay money on the bet that 75% plus of the resources used to make this forum a reality are based on overseas resources, from software developers, to hardware, to providers.

Unfortunately, it's inevitable.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

I have the xrc rear bumper without tire carrier. I am very pleased with the quality. I bought it because it is the only aftermarket bumper that actually gives a tow rating of 5000 pounds. I have no regrets. I love it.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the SB oversized tire carrier, with the reinforcement brackets that mount inside the tailgate. It has held up great for more than a year. I also have the SB XRC 9500 lb winch. I've used it about 5 times. So far, so good.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the SB XRC Mod bumper in the front, zero issues with it, have been there for 9 months, i have hit some rocks with it, absolutely nothing to worry about , and Rustoleoum black has always taken care of the scratches, didn't have any issues fitting the bumper, or pain flaking, nada. Took me more time to remove the factory front bumper go figures....
I had to shave a tiny bit of the winch mount lip to fit my Badland 12k winch though, it's got different mounting holes to fit different winches, and i wanted to use a set of holes that wouldn't had allowed me to mount the winch in the position i wanted, had i not taken care of a small metal lip, 10 sec job with a grinder, and touch up with Rustoleoum black to seal the cut.

Also running their $120 SB oversize tire carrier, had my 33 in there for 8 months, and now i hung a 35 5 weeks ago, zero issues, no vibrations, nothing rattles, i'll keep an eye on the factory hinges just in case for now, but so far so good, this was meant to be a temporary spare carrier, while i saved for the TF one, but i'm willing to try it longer since i haven't have any issues with it, zero issues with fitment/pint/rust, super easy install as well.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt stuff