Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt SRC w/tire carrier.......grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Old 07-09-2011, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Smittybilt SRC w/tire carrier.......grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Let's start with it's 105 outside and my garage is 120! I put on a Smittybilt SRC w/tire carrier and have to say, I'm quite disappointed. I will say it appears to be a stout bumper and looks nice, but not impressed with engineering. Once I fought to put tire carrier on (yes, I used grease!) it doesn't swing. It must be forceably moved. Oh and don't open too far, hinge pin is so close to corner, when it opens, it hits the body corner with the adjustment bolts. I didn't even put the bolts in, that would've been worse! Now I have 2 deep divits and scratches down to bare metal. Tire carrier didn't meet latch, had to take off plastic hinge guard from top of tailgate. Once I struggled to get it closed, it sat 1/2 inch from the tailgate and latch pin dented license plate. I'm so mad, I just pulled it all back off.

Last edited by Absolute; 07-09-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: For Sale Violation
Old 07-09-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

OUCH! - I was about to buy this bumper 'cause I didn't want to wait 6 weeks for my 1st choice - I guess I'll wait.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, that sux.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got this bumper. It wasn't easy to install. The bolts into the frame were hard to get in and one was impossible due to he tail pipe / muffler right were my hand needed to be.

I had no trouble with the swing out tire carrier. It doesn't even come close to hitting the jeep and it has a stop to prevent that from happening?

I will say that the latch didn't line up and after me working on it more than once it is still difficult to open. I like the bumper....have their front bumper as well......but I am the only one who can open the swing out tire carrier to access the rear gate!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

I bought smittybilt bumpers for my yj and it took some major work to get them on right.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

you'd think for all that money it would work right... fuck man!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

I just fought my Body Armor bumper a couple weeks ago, I feel for you.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys. Nice to know I,m not the only one with trouble. I put a project "JK" decal over the damage to cover. Gotta make lemonade out of lemons, right? I'll be calling Smittybilt today.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had some issues with my first one they sent, but they sent me a new one ASAP. Customer service should take care of you, but you will need to take some pics for them and e-mail them...

Quick Reply: Smittybilt SRC w/tire carrier.......grrrrrrrrrrrr!