Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt SRC Side Armor...... what a joke

Old 07-19-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish that smittybilt made a little better product and just charged a little more for it. Or maybe make a line of product called "HD" or "extreme" (since that term is used everywhere lately). If they made the same products and offered them in the standard line for the guys that use their rigs primarily on the street, and HD for the guys that need "trail rated parts", I think they would sell more stuff. Oh, and maybe only build in the USA. just my .02

Last edited by bigbluejk; 07-19-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickc309
Read a post on their rear bumper and tire carrier being built overseas and having big issues, friggen junk... Tired of these companies out sourcing work and sticking it in our asses. Boycott these p.o.s. companies until they get their heads right. There is plenty of U.S. made products out there we can buy. It's up to us to spend the extra buck for quality U.S. steel and U.S. made products built by Americans.
You couldn't be more WRONG about the bumpers being junk. I cannot comment on the side armor or any other product as I have had no direct involvement but the Smittybilt XRC bumpers ARE NOT junk.

Not sure if you read that whole bumper thread but the guy contacted Smittybilt corporate and they went out of their way to correct the guy's issues AND ensure future people wouldn't have the same issue. I have had my front and rear XRC bumpers for months now with ABSOLUTELY ZERO ISSUES from either the installation or the ongoing use of them. There is nothing wrong with paying more for US made bumpers and think that it's the purchaser's choice to make. But know that unless you have owned the product in question, your comments are just opinions and should be treated as such.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2 JPTwins
Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 PM
JK Jedi

I in no way think that smittybilt makes junk, but the products I have owned of theirs in the past have not been as durable as some others on the market. Or at least not as durable as I think they could have been. I think most of us would be willing to pay an extra $100 or whatever for an upgraded, more durable version, with better latching systems, thicker steel, etc. if such an option was available to us that wheel. That is all I am saying, not bashing the product at all. From the other threads I have read about people that have had issues with smittybilt products, they are extremely helpful with resolving the issues.

BTW: I have never owned a XRC or any smittybilt product for the JK, and my last Smittybilt purchase was almost two years ago when I bought the SRC for my TJ. So keep in mind that my opinions and desires for an upgraded line are based off of that and past experiences.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 07-19-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I in no way think that smittybilt makes junk, but the products I have owned of theirs in the past have not been as durable as some others on the market. Or at least not as durable as I think they could have been. I think most of us would be willing to pay an extra $100 or whatever for an upgraded, more durable version, with better latching systems, thicker steel, etc. if such an option was available to us that wheel. That is all I am saying, not bashing the product at all. From the other threads I have read about people that have had issues with smittybilt products, they are extremely helpful with resolving the issues.

BTW: I have never owned a XRC or any smittybilt product for the JK, and my last Smittybilt purchase was almost two years ago when I bought the SRC for my TJ. So keep in mind that my opinions and desires for an upgraded line are based off of that and past experiences.
I hear you on this one. The problem I faced though was that for what I wanted, the price wasn't just $100 more, it was like $1000+ more. Most of the other bumpers don't even quote in their ads that they can carry a 40" tire whereas the XRC bumper laid it out proud in every piece of literature I read about them.

I know this bumper debate will go on till the end of time but it's one of the 1st things a newbie asks so I just want them to have the full picture. Having the reference thread about US products is great and is another step in ensuring someone is completely educated before they lay any of their hard earned cash down, regardless of which brand they choose.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:03 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
I hear you on this one. The problem I faced though was that for what I wanted, the price wasn't just $100 more, it was like $1000+ more. Most of the other bumpers don't even quote in their ads that they can carry a 40" tire whereas the XRC bumper laid it out proud in every piece of literature I read about them.

I know this bumper debate will go on till the end of time but it's one of the 1st things a newbie asks so I just want them to have the full picture. Having the reference thread about US products is great and is another step in ensuring someone is completely educated before they lay any of their hard earned cash down, regardless of which brand they choose.
I emailed smitty to suggest offering a "HD" version and "standard" version of bumpers they build. Or at least the XRC. I am sure it won't happen... but they could charge $200 more for that bumper/swingaway combo and still be half the price of a LOD or similar. That extra $200 could maybe buy thicker steel, internal bracing, better latches, and higher quality finishes.

Please keep in mind I am not saying the current bumpers need these changes made, it would just be nice to me if they offered such an upgrade. JP You know I love your Jeep, and I think you have made some good choices on it. It is nice to see big bad ass rig not running 3 grand in bumpers that will never leave the pavement.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 07-19-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 AM
JK Newbie

Do any of the tube style rocker guard hold up to a hi-lift jack on them?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by medcop
PUREJEEP rockers will hold up to anything...

the welds are also perfect on them,
Old 07-20-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by medcop
I have the Olympic ones...they work great with a high lift!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
You couldn't be more WRONG about the bumpers being junk. I cannot comment on the side armor or any other product as I have had no direct involvement but the Smittybilt XRC bumpers ARE NOT junk.

Not sure if you read that whole bumper thread but the guy contacted Smittybilt corporate and they went out of their way to correct the guy's issues AND ensure future people wouldn't have the same issue. I have had my front and rear XRC bumpers for months now with ABSOLUTELY ZERO ISSUES from either the installation or the ongoing use of them. There is nothing wrong with paying more for US made bumpers and think that it's the purchaser's choice to make. But know that unless you have owned the product in question, your comments are just opinions and should be treated as such.
Jut to add on to this... I got one of the new batch of bumpers everyone was complaining about and couldn't be happier. yeah, it was made in china, big whoops. It looks great, latches tight and carries my 35" spare no problem. I have not had a single issue with the latching mechanism, which was a huge relief to me. And trust me, I have tried to get it to knock loose, hitting speed bumps, potholes, terrible roads in southeast Michigan, etc. Hasn't budged a bit. The swingout carrier works great, the powder coat is great, and overall the install was pretty easy. Didn't even need to drill out any holes, like the instructions suggested. There are no rattles or shakes, the only noise is form the taillight bracket if you hit a ridiculous pothole at speed.

Not to mention, it came with a brake light bracket, which yea, no big deal, but I spent $650 for a brand new bumper/carrier combo delivered to my door. THATS RIGHT, $650!!!!

As far as an HD bumper or whatever, have you seen an XRC rear in person? Its pretty damn beefy. The weight of my bumper/carrier on the truck was over 200 lbs. It's thick steel.
Maybe Smittybilts side armor is junk, I wouldn't doubt it actually, I mean what it's like $200?? I just can't see that being good. But the bumpers are great. I would even wager to say I like the fit and finish of the Smitty better than my Or Fab front (made in USA). And i do like my ORF stubby, but after a few trips to the Mounds and just regular highway driving, it was all chipped.

Just me $.02.

As for the topic of this thread and the side armor, I guess Smitty hasn't worked out all of their quality issues. To the OP, do you have any pics to show us all the problems?

Quick Reply: Smittybilt SRC Side Armor...... what a joke