Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

smittybilt src rocker "protectors"

Old 06-11-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default smittybilt src rocker "protectors"

Well, I found that the protectors or sliders may have done more damage than if I had none at all. the upright tubing that connects the upper and lower horizontal bars dented the rocker panels of my jeep in the center and the front. I never did like that there was no middle support where it attached to the jeep but assumed that Smittybilt would have tested these before selling them. pressure between the points where it connects to the jeep pushes the uprights to make contact with the rocker because of the lenght of span with no support Has this happened to anyone else and if so, is there any recourse with Smittybilt?
Old 06-11-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

literally just finished putting these on. I have read that this is a possibility and might add the third support. How hard did you slide it on something?
Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have these and thought they looked sturdy. I assumed and had several people comment on how they looked heavy duty and should offer a lot of protection? I have a 2 door........I see from the pics in your profile that you have a 4 door. Does the 4 dr rockers have a middle support? I assume from your post that it doesn't. Even as heavy as the tubing is, only 2 mounting pts on the span of a 4 dr would be weak????

What did you hit?
Old 06-11-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Pictures?

Post a picture of the damage.....
Old 06-11-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My SRC would bend if I hi-lifted them in the middle. I called Smittybilt customer service and they made it right. I highly suggest you do the same. The XRC's are much more durable for wheeling. The src seems to just be protection rather than sliders

Check out this thread
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Guards-beware!

Last edited by Croce; 06-11-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

Ima try to get a pic tomorrow. I dropped about 6 inches or so onto a rock and it put a little dent towards the front of the passenger side rail but the damage to the rocker was much worse with nothing to support it :(
Old 06-12-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

I just did mine today. I have a 2010 4-door. Installation wasn't fun until I figured out that you have to ream one of the holes to get them to fit properly. After that the passenger side went in smooth. It would have helped if Smittybilt included instructions so I didn't remove the body bolts just to find out that you don't have to. They should have also moved the front most hole 1/4 inch so I wouldn"t have to ream & file the hole. My third complaint is that there is no middle support. Why only use 2 of the 3 supports? They're there. Use them for extra support. Other than that they look Midevil.

So if you plan on doing it yourself here is what you should know...

#1. DO NOT use air tools. You WILL strip the nuts. Do it all by hand with a 16mm socket and small extention.
#2. DO NOT remove the body bolts or the middle side nuts. You're wasting your time.
#3. Ream the front most hole closest to the front tire on both sides about 1/4 inch. Start with a steel drill bit and finish with a round file by hand.
The rest is cake

Last edited by JP Brechter; 06-12-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JP Brechter
I just did mine today. I have a 2010 4-door. Installation wasn't fun until I figured out that you have to ream one of the holes to get them to fit properly. After that the passenger side went in smooth. It would have helped if Smittybilt included instructions so I didn't remove the body bolts just to find out that you don't have to. They should have also moved the front most hole 1/4 inch so I wouldn"t have to ream & file the hole. My third complaint is that there is no middle support. Why only use 2 of the 3 supports? They're there. Use them for extra support. Other than that they look Midevil.

So if you plan on doing it yourself here is what you should know...

#1. DO NOT use air tools. You WILL strip the nuts. Do it all by hand with a 16mm socket and small extention.
#2. DO NOT remove the body bolts or the middle side nuts. You're wasting your time.
#3. Ream the front most hole closest to the front tire on both sides about 1/4 inch. Start with a steel drill bit and finish with a round file by hand.
The rest is cake
Until you hit a rock...
Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, these were on the top of my list for next mod. Now I need a plan B, and probably even more $$$.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXCheney
Wow, these were on the top of my list for next mod. Now I need a plan B, and probably even more $$$.
look at ace sliders. cheap and are very recomended. im about to get some when i can ok it with the "bank"

Quick Reply: smittybilt src rocker "protectors"