Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt SRC rock rail install

Old 03-27-2010, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smittybilt SRC rock rail install

Has anyone else had issues installing these? the driver's side went on rather quickly except the body mount washer was in the way so I couldn't get on of the stock nuts back on. on the passenger side, I could only get one of the nuts on and the other 3 were either blocked by the washers or there wasnt enough room between the stud and the inside wall of the rail mount to fit a socket (or the stock nut for that matter). after much prying, i was able to get one nut on front and back and I'll take another stab at the others when i can get some more tools. Any tips or tricks to these or did I just get a bad batch?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately this is a common problem with the SRC. I installed mine not too long ago. The driver side went on with some prying but the passenger side was a PITA. I was able to get the front two bolts on and one on the back and I had to grind the hole larger to get the nut to align with the bolt. Even then, there was still a lot of prying. I think I even cross-threaded the last bolt. Oh well, I just tightened that bad boy as tight as I could. At the end of the day, they look great and feel rock solid.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same exact problem... had to grind out one side of the rock rail that mounts to the body and pry that sucker on there... it was such a tight fit that the socket i used to tighten it got stuck and is still there in the hole... but i did manage to tighten it... such a hassel but they look great.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics of install!!

Quick Reply: Smittybilt SRC rock rail install