Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt SRC bumper install

Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt SRC bumper install

I started to install my rear bumper today on my 2009 2 door jk and ran in to all kinds of trouble. First off the 4 holes for the hitch bolts didn't line up at all. I tried taking the bumper off and resituating it and still not one hole lined up right. Theh on the 2 side bolts I could only get 1 nut on 1 of the bolts the other bolt goes right in to the hole where the frame Is and pretty much is hidden. Has anyone else installed this bumper and had these problems? And how did you rig it to make the bumper work?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Should have left that smittybilt at the store and gotten a poison spyder. All I hear about smittybilt is horrible quality and nothing lines up.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Installed this bumper last week on my 08 jku only issue I had was with the side frame bolts not being long enough. I pick up this bumper used for 300 bucks, the guy who had it was rear ended by a Nissan murano and he got a brand new bumper through his insurance. There's only a few scratches on the bottom of the bumper and he said that he was hit pretty hard so I'm impressed with the strength
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a deal to me then. Can you drill new holes ? Or pull the bumper with another vehicle to get the holes lined up?

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-06-2013, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

I also got a great deal on the bumper for 330 dollars but yeah this is the first problem I've had with smittybilt. My front bumper and narrow flares are great
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had issues with my XRC rear bumper as well. the holes lined up ok but it was too close to the body once everything was tightened up so i had to bust out the recip and angle grinder and remove about half an inch of steel off the top plate to move it away from the body. Also if you are using the stock spare carrier and have a rubicon your tire will hit the bumper and it wont allow your back door to close.

Like the bumper but unless you have a grinder and some time to make it fit well ide pass on it.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

I finished the install today and found out a very easy tip to this bumper. The holes line up great and the bumper sits on the frame perfect. All you have to do is un hook your exhaust hangers and it lowers the exhaust where you can put those bolts in just right for them to slide right in. I then used a hammer and tapped the bolts into place. After that everything was smooth and took me about 20 minutes to finish it up

Quick Reply: Smittybilt SRC bumper install