Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt rear bumper

Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scored mine for 6 Hundo right before Xmas one year, used a bunch of online coupons to get it down to that price and free shipping. Here it is holding a 37 and can mount. a little imagination goes a long way when trying to mount stuff on it or roof racks for that matter.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadeout
scored mine for 6 Hundo right before Xmas one year, used a bunch of online coupons to get it down to that price and free shipping. Here it is holding a 37 and can mount. a little imagination goes a long way when trying to mount stuff on it or roof racks for that matter.
Your jeeps one of my fav I've seen. Like the set up How is that hard is rack to install been looking at getting some In future
Old 11-01-2011, 09:31 PM
JK Junkie

The roof rack? It wasn't hard, but I wouldn't recommend doing it in December like I did because I couldn't wait. You def need another set of hands to help get it on and centered. The hardest part is drilling out the Hardtop but the kit actually comes with these huge templates you just lay tape on the hardtop and mark off and drill. It has some room for adjustment so being spot on isn't totally necessary bout 95% is right. Then you just bolt up the rest and it's on.

Or if you were talking about the Rock Hard Mount it's stupid easy pull it out of the box and bolt it on, use a level to make sure it's straight and tighten, DONE. The can itself is secured down with a ratchet since I don't trust what rock hard sends with it.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does this bumper retain stock hitch or is it built in bumper? I f built in, what is tow rating?
Old 11-02-2011, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

Its built into the bumper you lose the factory one. And due to legal issues Smittybilt doesn't offer a tow rating on it but I've seen people tow plenty with it, they just didn't want to get into the safetly/legal issues with it so they left it as for use with aftermarket add-ons only (bike racks, ski racks)
Old 11-02-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the comments, at this point it is looking like the one to get.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

@ quadratec.com they have it with 5 year warranty. Havent looked at other sites sure you can find cheaper still with warranty. I'm sure smittybilt offers warranty. But def a dependable bumper
Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is this bumper powdercoated?...
Old 11-02-2011, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's textured black.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jay8ird
Does this bumper retain stock hitch or is it built in bumper? I f built in, what is tow rating?
Hitch is built into the bumper.

I purchased & installed mine about a year ago. The "paper installation instructions" I have say 3500 lb max tow.

Just checked online and the later version install instructions show no tow rating.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt rear bumper