Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt prices seem low?

Old 01-05-2017, 10:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Amazing to see "Americans" sell out their own country and on top of that, put their money in the pockets of establishment executives who favor slave laboring thus advocating this douchebaggery practice.

Yes, let's continue to oppress a portion of humanity so they may continue to only make $2/hour and live in shantyville's under their communist-fascist government.

Apparently there is no reason to buy the low priced options from good mfg's such as JCR Offroad, VKS (where their front bumper starts at $283 bucks), ACE mfg, etc.

Blows my fawking mind....

Well if they had a similar product at a similar price that would be a viable option but they dont so its not. Pay 500 and get a smitty that is a pretty nice design or pay 500 from an american company thats a flat rectangle with 2 tow points. You can be as picky as you want but personally i dont care where its made as long as i like the design and its of decent quality.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't always be about price.

Maybe on groceries or tv's but, there has to be a limit.

I try so hard to buy American. Our dollar speaks louder than we believe it does. What little is left of it is the divisible line.

Jeep or car in general this is a huge compromise, that's common knowledge. American name; Italian motor, Japanese trans, Korean wheels, you get the point.

As a whole this decision is nearly made for you, the parts you choose to add are up to you. Only aftermarket parts on my jeep I know are from somewhere else, my arb rear from AUS. But it was not cheap, and is very high quality.

All other armor is good ole USA.

Also As I stated earlier in the thread, those smitty winches just work. So many have em, it's insane, and they work. Customer service is right on par with warn, many instances that's equal. But for the manufacturing costs, obviously dividends accordingly alter the result. Price.

Wouldn't I love to see a completely USA vehicle, and I mean everything, just as much as I love seeing an American built AK?

Duh.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Some of the US companies need to set realistic prices also. $700 for head lights?!?! Come on. And I guarantee they have Chinese parts in them.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
Myself and just about every Jeep owner I know has used various Smittybilt items like bumpers, rails, and winches. No one has an issue with them. The X20 winches are an exceptional value. The bumpers fit great, I actually installed a new generation XRC rear onto a 2014 JK last night and it went directly on and fit perfectly. My 3 year old SRC front bumper has been horribly smashed into rocks many times and it's still there, covered in various black spray paints and spray bed liners. It's not bent though. The Tree straps and pull straps work great, the D-Rings are fine.

The junky shit like knives, seat covers that fade in 6 months and other soft items tend to be total scrap. Stick to the hard parts.
My experiences as well. My X20 winch has performed great. I have had an issue with the wireless remote, but that has been fixed. My seat covers are faded, and my G.E.A.R. seat covers are ripped. But I have a new set sitting in boxes in the other room, because when I called them and told them the seam had ripped, they sent out a whole new set. No questions asked. Didn't ask for proof of purchase. Don't want the old ones back.

When my son and I installed my X20, the ground lug on the winch got cross threaded. Our mistake. I called SB to see if they have parts available that I could replace the lug - it wasn't something I would have been able to just go buy - they said they didn't, but had something he could do for me. A week or so later, a whole winch showed up on my doorstep. WTF?

Now, that tells me a few things. They have great customer service. These problems may be more frequent that I would think. They have HUGE margins to be able to continue to be profitable.

Last edited by ShutterBug; 01-06-2017 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Default Bumper

All of this helps, thanks. One of the items I saw was bumper. I kept seeing bumpers out there for $850-$1000 but SB had one for around $350. I always say you get what you pay for so it made me say hummm. Metal same thickness, good coating, welds looks good. I don't mind spending a little more and will spend more to buy local at times but not 2-3x the price. Will log this all away. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Metal thickness does not mean equal quality. There's engineering as well as fit and finish, to consider, too.

I've seen some Chinese bumpers that looked like someone handed a 10 year old a welder for the first time and said "go for it." (In Chinese, of course).
Old 01-06-2017, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Metal thickness does not mean equal quality. There's engineering as well as fit and finish, to consider, too.

I've seen some Chinese bumpers that looked like someone handed a 10 year old a welder for the first time and said "go for it." (In Chinese, of course).
Very true but its at least a start. We have a 4wheelparts store relatively local (that still amazes me) so at least I can see one and put my hands on it before I buy. Still haven't found 'the one' yet tho, from any manuf.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... The "I am half American half commie" really turned this thread on its side... I can't help but laugh when people pound their chest and say they only buy American. Wander around your house I bet you have tons of "commie" goods beside a DeWalt drill. But good for you pat yourself on the back, Trump thanks you! Anyways Smittybilt quality is not bad, its budget to mid price point attracts a lot of people that aren't hardcore wheelers and it does them just fine. In the end its your money buy what you want.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:39 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
Wow... The "I am half American half commie" really turned this thread on its side... I can't help but laugh when people pound their chest and say they only buy American. Wander around your house I bet you have tons of "commie" goods beside a DeWalt drill. But good for you pat yourself on the back, Trump thanks you! Anyways Smittybilt quality is not bad, its budget to mid price point attracts a lot of people that aren't hardcore wheelers and it does them just fine. In the end its your money buy what you want.

Go figure. The resident patriot Canadian chimes in.

Don't you have a cat, raccoon, or horse to make out with? LMFAO

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 11.37.40 AM.png
Views:	98
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	664106

Most bestiality is legal, declares Canada's Supreme Court
-- 6/9/2016
---> Most bestiality is legal, declares Canada's Supreme Court | The Independent

I'd rather pound my chest than pound my neighbor's dog.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a LOD bumper and rock sliders. Made in the USA by Americans. Yeah it cost more. But the quality of the welds are better and the steel is way better. They get their steel from PA. I like knowing that I helped an American keep a job and put food on the table. Could I have bought Chinese? yeah sometimes you have to because they don't offer the design you want. But I do try to keep it American.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt prices seem low?