Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt over size tire carrier # 2743 with 35 on factory wheel

Old 10-26-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt over size tire carrier # 2743 with 35 on factory wheel

Just installed the Over size tire carrier and found out that the 35" tire that I have mounted on factory wheels will not fit. The center shaft that the tire is supposed to sit on is about 2" short. I can get the tire on the mount but I have to use the tire hold down handle to pull the tire down enough to get it to sit on the center shaft. I am worried that this is putting to much stress on the hold down handle. Any one else run into this issue?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm, that doesn't sound good. What kind of tire (BFG KM2, DuraTrac, etc)?

I bought the same product, but am still waiting on the Jeep itself.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

I have fierce 35/12.50 r17. I spoke to Smittybilt tech support today and they told the bracket is not designed for factory wheels. Doesn't say anything about that on their website or the installation instructions. I will probably find some steel tummy to match the center shaft and extend it enough for the factory wheel.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captianjack2010
Just installed the Over size tire carrier and found out that the 35" tire that I have mounted on factory wheels will not fit. The center shaft that the tire is supposed to sit on is about 2" short. I can get the tire on the mount but I have to use the tire hold down handle to pull the tire down enough to get it to sit on the center shaft. I am worried that this is putting to much stress on the hold down handle. Any one else run into this issue?
I ran this on the Jeep I just traded in for my new one. The tire carrier worked great, even with a 37 on it. I would HIGHLY recommend that you add this cheap little bit of hardware to it.

SparSpare Tire Bracket Reinforcing Kit by MBRP for Jeep - 130903

What this does is replace the 8 mounting holes on the tailgate with new ones that have a plate behind the tailgate face that distribute the weight over a greater area. Totally worth the money. The tire carrier and the reinforcing brackets total will run only $150 and the smittybilt is designed for up to a 37". I did run it with a 37", off road, bouncing around and it bounced less than 85% of bumper mounted tire carriers.

Obviously a good bumper mounted swing away tire carrier with a tailgate integrated pivot point is the way to go, but if you can't affored AEV, Expedition One (Highrock actually makes a nice one now, and inexpensive!), then save your pennies, get this and then upgrade when you can.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Captianjack2010
I have fierce 35/12.50 r17. I spoke to Smittybilt tech support today and they told the bracket is not designed for factory wheels. Doesn't say anything about that on their website or the installation instructions. I will probably find some steel tummy to match the center shaft and extend it enough for the factory wheel.
Sorry, spell check sucks. Meant steel tubing

Quick Reply: Smittybilt over size tire carrier # 2743 with 35 on factory wheel