Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt M.O.D. bumper and Q-tech Winch install

Old 05-03-2013, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt M.O.D. bumper and Q-tech Winch install

I've been away for a while thanks to a broken elbow. I was in wrenching withdrawal, so yesterday I installed the Smittybilt XRC MOD bumper and Quadratec 9000 winch. Install was pretty easy (Yes, even for Smittybilt stuff.) I know Smittybilt's rep, but have seen some positives on this bumper, so I went for it. It's solid, finish is nice, and if it gets rusty, it should be easy to rattle can. Pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	453867

"Ignore the hood, was getting the windshield replaced to, thanks to some highway rocks "

Name:	jeep2.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	453868

I dry fit it first, glad I did, because the 2 holes they tell you to drill out did need drilled, just in the opposite direction the suggest.

A few things I did that worked good:

1: I bolted up the side "wings" before I bolted up the whole bumper. Made it a lot easier to get them right.

2: I put the winch on after I bolted up the bumper. Took just a bit of finageling to get the bolts tightened, but the bumper and winch weighed a crap ton to try and put them on at the same time.

3. I put the stock fogs in the bumper. I took 4 screws and some lock tight and put them in (See Pic) I used 2 nuts on either side of the bumper fog light hole to adjust them. So far so good

Name:	jeep3.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	453869
Old 05-03-2013, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does the mod bumper come with lights for those holes or are the factory dogs supposed to fit?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 3min3m2
Does the mod bumper come with lights for those holes or are the factory dogs supposed to fit?
it does come with lights. 55 watt DHAA lights. They looked cheap, so I put the stocks on. I have a Procal, so I have the stock fogs set up as daytime running lights and didn't want to mess with that setup. The DHAA lights looked pretty easy to install though.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Well, the stock's don't work. I checked it out after dark and they are recessed way to far to throw any useful light. I put the kit ones on today and I figure I'll run them until they crap out while I save for new ones that fit.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt M.O.D. bumper and Q-tech Winch install