Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Overhead Console

Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one installed in my 10 and yes you can make it work. What I did was that I installed two 1 inch flat bracket on each bolt that hold the center loop. That way the overhead mount is lowered in the front by an inch thus giving you plenty of room to lock the latch and letting the top sit flush. You'll just have to cut the trim a bit in order make it fit over the bracket.

The only problem I had with the overhead bracket was that it squeaked with every bump on the road so I just added some non slip matting under it, were it lays on the speaker bar and problem solved.

I can send pics if needed, oh and I got some angle bracket from Walmart paid like 2 bucks or so, then I just cut it at the bend and got 2 brackets with both hole on each piece. Just need to bore out the holes a little bigger so the center loop bolts will pass through. Worked out great, good luck
Augi
Old 08-25-2012, 03:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes could you go ahead and post pictures of that front bracket? id really appreciate it
Old 08-25-2012, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

Here is what I did to mine ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...onsole-245314/
Old 03-28-2013, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Revival!! We need to see more of these sick consoles!! Any more stories of fitment issues with the Freedom top?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some pics of the brackets i used to install the overhead unit so i can fit my hand in between the unit and panels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim.jpg
Views:	1454
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	440690
Here you can see where i trimmed the plastic header to make room for the bracket

Name:	Bracket.jpg
Views:	1299
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	440689
Here you can see how the bracket pieces are installed on top of the footmens loop and how it drops the overhead unit down a good 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch

Name:	PICT0047.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	440691
This is a pic of my overhead unit, as you can see i added some straps to pull the bags tighter to the unit they seem to hang down a bit. This makes it to where i can't really see them in my rear view mirror.

Name:	Tailgate.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	440692
I have the matching tailgate unit as well

As for my overhead unit i have a bunch of maps, flashlight, compass, tire gauge, sun screen, bug spray, sun glasses, fuses, Alabama chrome, electrical tape, rescue knife, pens, paper, zip ties, gum/candy, small first aid kit, WD40, lighter/matches, and other stuff i can't remember off the top of my head.

Here are a few tips i have about the overhead unit:
1. mine squeaked like crazy where it mounts over the rear speaker console. so i add so black grip mat i bought from the hardware store. i tightened the mounts down after i installed the grip mat and bye bye squeaking.
2. the bags hang down a bit due to filling it with stuff so i added some straps to pull them closer to the unit itself

The overhead unit works with a soft top just fine since it asks you to remove the footmens loop and replace it with the bracket that comes with the unit but i only run with my soft top on during the summer. So i figured this would be the best way to make it work without doing to much modding. I went and bought a package of stainless corner brackets like these:

Name:	C-Bracket-SU-B-P60.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	440702
I cut them at the bend giving me two exact pieces with equally matched holes.

That's it, in a nut shell. Good luck to those who are looking at getting this overhead unit. I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone that has seen mine loves it.

Augi

Last edited by augichef; 04-05-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by augichef
Here are some pics of the brackets i used to install the overhead unit so i can fit my hand in between the unit and panels.
Sweet! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to order mine!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 14 JK with Freedom Top and installed. I had to use a bolt to hold down the front of the tops. I drilled a hole in the GEAR panel and used a #8 1.25 60mm hex head bolt to screw up into the top. Pulls it down nicely and snug to the weatherstripping. This allows it to be the intended height and the pouches do NOT block the rear view mirror. Using a plastic knob to screw and unscrew. The ONLY complaint I have is that it is squeaking under the rear panels. Figured I would just add a silicone bead to the GEAR panel and it should go away
Old 09-12-2016, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by howlingthunder
I have a 14 JK with Freedom Top and installed. I had to use a bolt to hold down the front of the tops. I drilled a hole in the GEAR panel and used a #8 1.25 60mm hex head bolt to screw up into the top. Pulls it down nicely and snug to the weatherstripping. This allows it to be the intended height and the pouches do NOT block the rear view mirror. Using a plastic knob to screw and unscrew. The ONLY complaint I have is that it is squeaking under the rear panels. Figured I would just add a silicone bead to the GEAR panel and it should go away
Can you tell me how far from the front of console and from the drivers side you drilled your hole? I have a trektop nx for summer and run the hard top in winter. I mounted the back with body molding tape. Super strong doesn't squeak
Old 09-12-2016, 08:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pyrophil
Can you tell me how far from the front of console and from the drivers side you drilled your hole? I have a trektop nx for summer and run the hard top in winter. I mounted the back with body molding tape. Super strong doesn't squeak
I doubt you will get an answer. Last time he was on was in 2014.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:02 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The overhead console is a nice easy add on. I will have to share the mods out there with future customers. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Overhead Console