Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Overhead Console

Old 03-21-2011, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilxDoc
when you go to put them back on do you have any problems with leaking since you are not going in the order that they tell you to go in?? or is there a modified way now?? Also thanks for the pictures, that helped a lot.
You can put the top back on as usuall. It's easy enough to close the inside latch's over the cosole, just cant get your fingers in behind them to open without pushing the middle up a bit.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default Doesn't it leak?

If you're not fastening the front and rear center locks on the hard top, doesn't it leak? I've already got problems every time it rains. I'm not opposed to a one-piece freedom top, I think I can handle that if I could take the pieces apart after its physically off of the jeep.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have mine installed with the hard top and as if right now I have just the front center latch closed and the rear unlocked. It seems my hands fit easier in the front than the rear....thats what she said.. haha...anyways, I love mine and dont regret it one bit! hope you get yours and enjoy Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3555600324.jpg
Views:	1464
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	140726
Old 03-22-2011, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DevilxDoc
when you go to put them back on do you have any problems with leaking since you are not going in the order that they tell you to go in?? or is there a modified way now?? Also thanks for the pictures, that helped a lot.
I didn’t know there was a certain order to reinstall i just lay them on the do everything up if it leaks i just tighten the back ones and that fixes it
Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by woodie427
I didn’t know there was a certain order to reinstall i just lay them on the do everything up if it leaks i just tighten the back ones and that fixes it
X2, I just put them on and voile... never had a leak (yet)
Old 04-23-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

sorry if this is a repeat of another thread but I asked once and got sent here. I am hoping for a review/opinions of the product. I have soft top so I wont mind the trouble in this thread. Recommended or no? Thanks
Old 04-23-2011, 06:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

heres the pics and like someone already said if you undo the outside then push up on the panels they come apart no problem, so basically you’re removing the panels as one piece

Couldn't you just drill a hole through the two handles that are difficult to access and put a lanyard through those holes? Then you just pull each lanyard to get that latch started until you can reach it with your fingers.

Also, is this thing compatible with the Mopar Sunbonnet (their silly name for the great safari top)? That uses the footman loop to secure a lanyard from the middle of the top to reduce flapping. You can see it in this pic ...

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-23-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone tried to put one of these in a 2010 Model with Hardtop? the center laches seem to be different than the others ? the front center lach uses the soft top loop on the windshield to attach to and hangs down lower..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	1850
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	152901
Old 04-23-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

I like the lanyard idea i’ll give that a try
as far as the Mopar Sunbonnet being compatible I’d have to say no because you remove the footman loop and use the holes to bolt the console on ,but if you can tie it to the console some how I guess you could make it work
Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

... if you can tie it to the console some how I guess you could make it work
Would it be possible to remount the removed footman loop to the top of the Smittybilt tray?

Quick Reply: Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Overhead Console