Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

smittybilt fairlead not polished?

Old 09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smittybilt fairlead not polished?

So I just purchased a new X2O comp-8 winch. I was surprised that when I opened the box the aluminium fairlead wasnt polished? After calling smittybilt they told me there was an optional XRC fully polished fairlead I could buy for $45. But that the comp series winches come shipped with non polished fairleads?

Anyone else surprised like I was?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

For a nice shine, you can easily do it yourself with a buffing wheel and some polishing compound.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by last5liter
So I just purchased a new X2O comp-8 winch. I was surprised that when I opened the box the aluminium fairlead wasnt polished? After calling smittybilt they told me there was an optional XRC fully polished fairlead I could buy for $45. But that the comp series winches come shipped with non polished fairleads?

Anyone else surprised like I was?
Yes I was surprised too. But when I noticed it said X20 on it onstead of XRC I was happy
Old 09-17-2012, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gman*2007
Yes I was surprised too. But when I noticed it said X20 on it onstead of XRC I was happy
I called smitty and they said the only optional polished one for sale says XRC no X2O polished version exhists yet.

So I decided to polish mine. First issue is the aluminum is anodized. So after some easy off oven cleaner , I started with the wet sanding then the polishing paste. End result is a fully polished X2O fair lead that cant be purchased only made
Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by last5liter
I called smitty and they said the only optional polished one for sale says XRC no X2O polished version exhists yet.

So I decided to polish mine. First issue is the aluminum is anodized. So after some easy off oven cleaner , I started with the wet sanding then the polishing paste. End result is a fully polished X2O fair lead that cant be purchased only made
I thought of that, I have a 3/4 buffing wheel set up with jeweler's rouge & it polishes aluminum pretty nicely, but I don't want too much shiney stuff on mine. It's all black & white.

Quick Reply: smittybilt fairlead not polished?