Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt Defender

Old 04-14-2015, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt Defender

Hi JK forum members -

Long time lurker. I could really use some wisdom from the crowd as I'm finding very little information about the Smittybilt Defender roof rack online. I'm looking for a low-profile rack that doesn't require any drilling and I don't need to solve for a ton of weight. I also don't want a full blown cage over the top of my Jeep. This is the only rack I've found that meets all of my criteria.

1. Does anyone have any experience with this rack positive or negative?
2. What mounting parts do I need to mount to the gutter and tailgate window on my Unlimited? Smittybilt recommends a part kit that involves rails for a 2013 JK. However, most of the pictures I'm finding of the rack online show this rain gutter mount and tailgate mount (like the pic below) which is very low profile and no drilling. I've emailed Smittybilt but have not gotten a response.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Defender.JPG
Views:	1361
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	606395

Thanks in advance for the help! If anyone knows the answers to these questions it will be this group!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

I very recently purchased this rack, and it is exactly what I needed. I too did not want all the bells and whistles of a Gobi-style rack, with the drilling and total coverage, and the like. The Defender was just what I was looking for: very easy on and off, and a great place to get lighter gear up top to make room for a third or fourth passenger when I occasionally bring more people out on an extended trip.

Quality is decent. I wouldn't put hundreds of pounds up there, but I like to maintain as much of a low center of gravity as I can, even when camping/"overlanding." I used it for sleeping bags, camp chairs and table, pads and other odds and ends and that's what it's made for as far as I can tell. A Rotopax or two would probably work as well.

You do need the dedicated (JKU) accessory mounts for the gutter and rear window. I think they were $80-$90 extra or so. 4WP or some of the other vendors will hook you up, but if you need the part number I can look when I get home (at work now).

Oh, and here's a quick edit with a clarification: you don't need rails for a 2013.

Last edited by d-rap; 04-15-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

D-rap - that's great info and confirmation of how I was thinking of using this rack.

Part numbers would be great - the parts listed for Jk that I've seen don't look quite right so I want to be doubly sure before I order anything.

Also - how tall is the top of the rack from the roof with this install?

Thanks!

Last edited by Villaan; 04-15-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

So the Defender rack for the JKU is S/B 45454 ($482.99) and the mounts you need are S/B DS31-4 ($95.99).

The height is adjustable (at the lowest setting I was concerned that weight on the rack bars might cause contact with the hardtop on a hard hit), so I have mine set fairly high. It measures approximately 6 1/4" above the highest point on my hardtop. The rack itself measures 4.5x4.5x4".

And again, for the record, it's the simplicity and ease of use that recommend this rack. From what I can tell, it's really designed for the user who doesn't need a serious expedition rack, but who does sometimes need that extra space. It's solid, mounts in minutes, and looks decent.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by d-rap
So the Defender rack for the JKU is S/B 45454 ($482.99) and the mounts you need are S/B DS31-4 ($95.99). The height is adjustable (at the lowest setting I was concerned that weight on the rack bars might cause contact with the hardtop on a hard hit), so I have mine set fairly high. It measures approximately 6 1/4" above the highest point on my hardtop. The rack itself measures 4.5x4.5x4". And again, for the record, it's the simplicity and ease of use that recommend this rack. From what I can tell, it's really designed for the user who doesn't need a serious expedition rack, but who does sometimes need that extra space. It's solid, mounts in minutes, and looks decent.
Awesome - thanks D-rap!
Old 02-21-2016, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by d-rap
So the Defender rack for the JKU is S/B 45454 ($482.99) and the mounts you need are S/B DS31-4 ($95.99).

The height is adjustable (at the lowest setting I was concerned that weight on the rack bars might cause contact with the hardtop on a hard hit), so I have mine set fairly high. It measures approximately 6 1/4" above the highest point on my hardtop. The rack itself measures 4.5x4.5x4".

And again, for the record, it's the simplicity and ease of use that recommend this rack. From what I can tell, it's really designed for the user who doesn't need a serious expedition rack, but who does sometimes need that extra space. It's solid, mounts in minutes, and looks decent.
Does the rack come with information regarding how much weight it can carry? I'm looking for a basic rack meeting the description you provided.

Cheers!
Dave

Quick Reply: Smittybilt Defender