Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

smittybilt/bestop oversize tire carrier

Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default smittybilt/bestop oversize tire carrier

Throwing on my 35's next Friday!! Duratrac 315/70r17 on ATX Crawl 17x8 4.5"bs (95lb combo)

after my lift/tire upgrade i am BROKE for a bit, but am very hesitant to use my stock tire carrier for the spare. I was looking at the TF hinged carrier but dont have the $450+ to spend on it and wont for the next few months+.

I do not wheel my jeep beyond slow driving/light trails when camping and fishing. So assume this is just a pavement dweller for the most part and not being knocked around (i know..i know..)

I have not seen alot of user experience reviews on the tailgate mounted oversized tire carriers (smittybilt/bestop) and yes, i did search..alot.

Who is using this as a solution and how is it working out for you? Trying to figure if it is better than using my stock carrier with MPRB reinforment/longer bumpstops.

Being that i do not wheel or bang around, will this solution do the trick? My other option is risking it on the stock carrier (sounds really risky), running a 32" spare (boo!) or no spare at all (BIGGER BOO!!)

thanks in advance!

Last edited by mpthompson84; 05-27-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Smittybuilt Oversized Tire Carrier is the way to go then for sure! I personally know someone in my local club who has had this set-up for a few years now. He runs a 35" spare on this carrier and he also does a lot of heavy offroading without having any issues. He really likes his tire carrier. It is very a very solid set-up and it looks good. In some ways I almost wish I had got this instead of spending money on a bumper mounted swing out tire carrier.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're referring to the Smitty carrier that costs around $125? That's what I have. I've been running it for almost a year now. Definitely better than running a 35" on the stock carrier.

I did some research before buying mine which included digging up some threads that were a few years old. I bumped those threads to see if anyone had any complaints. Nothing but positive comments.

Do keep in mind though: It does address the stock carrier flaws. However, it does not help support the door hinges. So some have speculated that eventually it may cause the hinges to wear out.

My only complaint is that it does rattle a LITTLE bit, but only when I hit a bump just right. It doesn't rattle any other time. I even thought that if I had more expensive shocks, it might not rattle at all.

I got it as a temporary solution, but am in no hurry to replace it.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the one!

Sounds great. May be exactly what I need to get me through till I can save up some extra cash. I think the t-bar setup looks pretty bad a$$ which is a plus as well!

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine on for 9 months now. Have a 37" tire on it. The spot welds are in great shape. The tailgate stays stable even offroad. Thumbs up from me!

Quick Reply: smittybilt/bestop oversize tire carrier