Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smashed arns

Old 10-12-2013, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smashed arns

So I've got the aev 3.5 lift and I smashed one of my lower rear control arms and bent it. Obviously we all know aev uses the stock arms. My question is will putting different companies control arms affect the ride? I know aev has custom tuned bilstein shocks and has specific springs they use in conjunction with the arms. Has anyone swapped out to a different brand control arm. Or give me some insight! I love the way it rides on and off road!
Old 10-12-2013, 07:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

If mounted on their brackets at the same length of the stock arms there should be no noticeable difference in ride unless you are running heim joint in them.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

People are giving away stock arms just to get them out of the garage.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

The only real diference between using the bracket vs the arms are two thing in particular.

1) on a lifted vehicle the greater the angle of the control arm= the more the amount of shock the frame will absorb instead of the suspension. ( suspension only absorbs bumps perpendicular to the road, so at a greater angle more is directed towards the Frame) is this bad? No not at all, it's a jeep, it will continue to be a jeep, and will always ride like a jeep.

2) the body will dive more on heavy braking and squat more under heavy acceleration.

But remember, were taliking about a diference of about a inch and a half. It's not going to make a diference especially if you get a quality built control arm *cough* metalcloack *cough*

Hope that helps man, in other words, take those brackets off and use them as paperweights ast best. sure someone else will chime in.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also I live in easton, pa. Your in philly your bio says. I have all my stock arms still, yours if you want them.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:31 AM
JK Newbie

He smashed a rear arm. Theres no drop bracket on the rear. Any factory or aftermarket arm will work. Synergy makes a really nice, non-adjustable arm for a good price.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Free is better..I'd take the gentleman' s free control arms, since you only actually need one. You can always save up some money and buy some after market one' s later.....
Old 10-13-2013, 03:54 AM
JK Junkie

I've seen folks with both, there's not a problem if you want to keep them.

Just make sure the arms can adjust the same or shorter than stock. The brackets are designed to set caster in a certain range. It will differ slightly depending on what hole is used and lift height.

Some arms are bent for clearance and obviously stronger. If you do keep the brackets to retain the awesome ride. W/ Adjustable arms you can fine tune and/or add caster if driveshaft angle is not a concern. Basically you can have your cake and eat it too

Fwiw .. I run the Rancho drop brackets and scored a set of currie uppers for cheap. I am going to replace the JJ's with MC joints. Fronts I will keep the same length because of my lift height and caster/pinion is where I want it already.
Rears for pinion angle which I should have done a long time ago
Old 10-13-2013, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys! It's not a matter if cost for new ones compared to taking a set of stocks. I just want to make sure I do it right if I do go after market.

Quick Reply: Smashed arns