Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smaller Tires needed in Denver to pass Emissions - Will Pay $$

Old 09-23-2013, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ncb
This is exactly why the year I'm due for emissions testing I make sure to drive through the mobile testing units on the highway on ramps several times. No hassle of letting some pimply face kid run my Jeep on the rollers. When I had a modded WRX it was scary to watch it on the rollers.
I know for a fact I have driven through that mobile testing station 25+ times as I work downtown and they always put it on the entrance to 25 north from park ave. Do I need to register beforehand to have them collect my data? I do have a superchips programmer and am running a 91 octane tune wonder if that is throwing things off on the mobile set up??
Old 09-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to register. In the year it's due you have to get two good test in the first ten months. You might have been letting off the gas or on it too hard. I cruised through driving normal and passed this time.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Well it was a 5 hour ordeal to get it done but a big shout out to Discount Tire on 104th and colorado as they let me borrow some 33's and only charged me $32 ($8 to remount and install twice). It was a long process but at least I have that nonsense done for a few years. Thanks for all the help guys and with any luck the mobile testing station will pick me up before next time.
Cheers
Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Should have mentioned they also rotated my tires (including spare) at no cost so it was essentially like paying $32 for a rotation and getting the rental/borrow of the tires and mount/unmount for free or vice versa.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

i had offered for free! But it's all good, glad ya got it done and good to know about discount tire.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Both my buddy and I just had to do this as well with our 2009 wranglers on 37s. Fortunately one of my neighbors had his stock rubicon tires still available. We also couldn't find wheel spacers for the stock rims and that required removing the rear sway bar so there wouldn't be contact on the inside of the rim (going over bumps or suspension going up and down ever so slightly.
( about 1/2 inch of movement would have caused contact. )

We put on all four of the same size because you have to also adjust the tire size in the computer as well. The emissions test simulates driving conditions and they drive it at various speeds. If that calculation is off they might be seeing a diff speed on your dash than their testing equipment is seeing.

I've learned the lesson in Colorado and set my self a reminder in 18 months. (The Emission retest is every two years). So starting 6 months prior to your retest date plate registration renewal start looking at the EZ pass testing stations.
( the drive by on ramp mobile testers.)

Make a point in driving through a bunch of them between months 18 and 22 to be sure you get readings in. If your vehicle is running clean and passes you don't have to go to the emissions location and deal with the tire size fiasco.

After month 22 ( without any successful EZ pass readings) you will get your emissions required postcard and EZ pass is no longer possible.

It's not that it's hard to swap tires, update the jeeps computer for the tire size, but it's a time waster and just a PITA to do it if there is a way to simply avoid it.

Brian
Old 09-26-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wow

And the point of all this hassle is?

emissions are BS. you didn't build the engine, you didn't chose to burn gas. It's really the only viable options for 99.99% of cars!

this is just another way the Gov't gets to steal your money. It has nothing to do with the environment.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

What a sham. I thought most states got rid of the silly dyno test and went to OBD II testing.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mbanik
What a sham. I thought most states got rid of the silly dyno test and went to OBD II testing.
It's a combination of OBD II and dyno. Dyno to simulate engine load and more real world condition and how the car runs in each.

I can't say its complete BS compared to how bad cars were 30 years ago. It's just keeping the pollution controlled vehicles in spec.

Although the whole tire change is a PITA I think we still have it easier compared to some states and even foreign countries. I.e the MOT in England I'm told can be quite expensive.

Not only expensive but I know some states check for proper DOT headlights, tail lights. Exhausts, ride height, Bumper height, etc.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
And the point of all this hassle is?

emissions are BS. you didn't build the engine, you didn't chose to burn gas. It's really the only viable options for 99.99% of cars!

this is just another way the Gov't gets to steal your money. It has nothing to do with the environment.
I've driven up into Denver on a number of occasions and been met by a nice brown layer of smog blanketing the city. Maybe there just might be a reason for the crackdown.

Quick Reply: Smaller Tires needed in Denver to pass Emissions - Will Pay $$