Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Small lift and tire advice

Old 02-28-2016, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small lift and tire advice

I've finally convinced my wife to getting a small lift and some tires and wheels for her 2014 Sahara unlimited. I planned this move all along that's why I ordered the jeep with the max tow package to get the 3.73 gears. She picked out the new rims ( Fuel off-road dunes 17X9) and we are looking at 285/70r17's or 33X12.50/17's. I am looking at a 2" BDS lift but can't decide between the 2" spring lift or spacer lift. This jeep in a pavement queen so I want some advice on this. Also, should I install adjustable tracbars with such a small lift? I want the jeep to ride as close to stock as possible. Should I get a p rated tire or a light truck? The sizes I'm looking at only show load range E in these sizes. Will there be a big difference in ride between the two? I'm also leaning towards the fox 2.0 shocks mainly because of the aluminum construction and the fact that we see a lot of road salt up here in New England. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you do the spacer lift you wont change any of the factory suspension so it will ride pretty much the same but even with the springs 2 inches isint gonna change much. presonally for that and it being only on pavement ide just do a spacer lift. i dont think track bars would be nessary. your axles will shift a tiney bit but it dosent seem to bother a lot of people. road salts will eat alum as well. it dosent rust and flake like steel does but it will corode / pit and form a white residue once the anodized layer is breached.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

I like the look of the tire sticking out of the wheelwell. I noticed the Toyo open country mt comes in a 285/70r17 as well as a 33X12.50/17. Of course the 33 is one inch wider. Do you think that would make a big difference in the look. I was originally thinking open country at2's but I would go with the mt if it looks a lot better. I had the MT's on my last tundra and they rode nice until they got worn, then they because pretty loud which to me is sweat music to my ears anyway.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

The 10 ply tire will definitely make the ride rougher not to mention they will be heavier and hurt fuel mileage. A spacer lift will retain very close to stock ride quality. You could always pay a little more money though and get a small coil lift with a good set of shocks like fox or ome and it will ride better than factory.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

DO the teraflex 2" leveling kit. I have it on mine and LOVE it. I never want for any more. with 285s on it, looks great.

You can see my stance in this pic. I also added teraflex steering stabilizer, lower control arms, and Monroe reflex monotube shocks. We love our setup for on and off road. I am also adding JKS flex connect sway bar links...for some more smoothness in suspension. We added airbags in the rear to take the weight of our trailer and gear. If you are NOT rawk krawling, our setup works great for an adventure style rig that gets wheeled ALOT.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did a Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift and 35" Toyo open country AT2 extreme tires on my 2014 Rubicon.
Last September I drove down from Canada to Moab Utah , did a load of trails there , then drove to California and did the Rubicon Trail end to end.
There's no need to spend your money on high end lifts.
Here's my Jeep on the Rubicon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3125371385.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	609.8 KB
ID:	639012  
Old 02-28-2016, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

She will not be happy if you put E rated tires on her Jeep.

Go to Discount tire direct and order a set of 17's with wheels and just sell your Sahara wheels/tires on CL.

Any budget boost will work. I went with the Daystar 1.75 because it is good quality, inexpensive, and will barely changed the ride.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by goatee
I did a Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift and 35" Toyo open country AT2 extreme tires on my 2014 Rubicon.
Last September I drove down from Canada to Moab Utah , did a load of trails there , then drove to California and did the Rubicon Trail end to end.
There's no need to spend your money on high end lifts.
Here's my Jeep on the Rubicon.
True'r words never spoken. I get comments all the time here about me using Monroe shocks.....but.......They ride and handle better than the stock blacks, rubi reds, Bilstien 5100s, rancho 5000s, and I'm sure many others, They are available on BOGO a lot of times, they are awesome in control off road and the warranty is top notch...they wear out, bring em back for a new set. I love the comments from the peanut gallery. But my jeep goes anywhere I want it to, I wheel it 3-4 times a week, and its very comfortable daily driving. Even with the e rated tires on it. If not disconnecting, you can add the shock spacers, and run the monroes with 2.5" of lift and have a great riding capable rig.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:52 PM
JK Newbie

Would you use the passenger rated tire or do you know if they make a lt tire in this size range that is a lower load range?
Old 02-29-2016, 01:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Hedgehog
Would you use the passenger rated tire or do you know if they make a lt tire in this size range that is a lower load range?
I would not as I have lost 3 of the stock p rated tires on my first trip in the backcountry. If you run BFG AT (from experience) And put 30 psi in them, they ride smooth. No roughness at all. I have a p series winter tire as I do not go in the woods with my rig in the winter and there is no difference in ride between them.

Quick Reply: Small lift and tire advice