Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

small lift

Old 12-31-2008, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hdrider
OK,, you guys helped alot in my search for a bumper. Now how about on a lift.
I have a 2008 JK Sahara. I want to do a lift that I will not have to change drive shafts. And I don't plan to put huge tires on. This Jeep will be my daily driver and set up to tow behind our motor home. And some minor off road stuff.
So what's the best... EMU,, terriflex,,Skyjacker. I know there are a lot of choices and a lot of reading on this site,, almost to much to diggest
Suggestions
It depends on what you want to spend on your lift. A budget boost can be done for around $200, where a coil spring lift will run $300 plus depending on the manufacturer. For what you want, sounds like a BB or spacer lift would be best. Almost all the spacer kits are the same concept, just pick a quality one, Teraflex, Rough Country, Rubicon Express, Daystar all have good kits.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx for the replies. I'm not worried about spending money on something that is the best or close to it. But I don't want to waste money either.
This jeep will no doubt travel thousands of miles on a tow bar and will also get it's share of abuse while far away from home and at home.
Not the hard work that a lot of you put your machines through but I still want whats best and something I woint have to worry about babying.
I don't have money to blow, but if we are talking about saving 2 to $400 by going BB to something that is across the board agreed upon thats better
So does that change aby of the comments?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are just looking for a better stance, then a BB is perfect for you. The coil spring lifts are mainly bought for better articulation and suspension flex off road. If you are looking to keep the stock ride and handling, a BB is ideal, you can even keep your factory shocks with the Teraflex BB kit with the shock extenders.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

i'm running a 2.5 inch teraflex bb with shock adapters and 33's. great kit. comes complete with everything you need. fairly easy to install yourself and nothing else needed however there may be rubbing issues if using stock rims.

i bought rims with 5 inch backspacing and no problems.

it's my wife's daily driver and there have been no issues whatsoever.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

I would, definitely suggest the Rough Country 2.5" coil spring lift. It came with the 4 springs and 4 2.2 shocks for $329. It was easy to install, it leveled out the front rake and it improved the quality of the ride over the factory ride. I am waiting for 35" tires but I would do this lift without getting new wheels and tires. It sits great and I did not have to do anything else with regard to shafts, links, brake lines, etc. I did a lot of research before I decided on this lift and I am 100% satisfied. I think the biggest benefit over the spacer route is that you wind up maintaining the factory ride with the spacers. With this lift you really do get a better ride than stock.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

just my 2 cents... it you are not looking to climb up into your jeep. Then do a 1" lift with 33" tires. The jeep will look pretty tuff and you can climb in and out with ease. If you don't mind climbing up into your jeep, then go with around 3" and 35" tires.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

I would do a Teraflex BB or their 2.5" coil lift. The coil lift will give you 3" in front and 2.5" in back, but it is more expensive than the BB. Tons of people use the TF BB and love it.

Teraflex is a sponsor and Joe is super helpful. He is always on the forum to answer questions.

Same with David at Northridge.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

I think I want to do a lift that will help off road also so I think the Terriflex 2.5" with coils and shocks or the OME setup. I think the HD. Is the OME worth the extra $$$
I do plan to add a new front bumper (ARB). So will have some added weight up front. Probably a winch also.
And 33's will be what I run tire wise I'm sure.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

2.5 RC BB with stock springs and shocks best money I ever spent on a mod
Old 01-05-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For mild lift you can always do what another poster mentioned, swap springs with a 4dr....they key to that is you have to swap springs in that came off a 4dr rubicon Auto with tow package. If you use any other springs you wont get any real lift. Helped a buddy do that to his a few days ago, got him about 1.5" of lift and cost him about $50 to buy the springs from the owner of the other jeep (other jeep did a 2.5" coil lift).

Quick Reply: small lift