Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Slow acceleration question

Old 05-27-2013, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow acceleration question

I have 08' 4 door wrangler with 4 inch suspension lift, 35 inch wheels and automatic transmission. I know I'm not driving a sports car. However, I noticed that sometimes when I give it the gas to accelerate fairly quickly, there seems to be a delay of a second before the engine revs up. Is this normal or could it be related to the oversize tires? If not normal, is it correctable?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

I think it's more related to it being a Jeep!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Sorry, welcome to the forum! I just couldn't help myself.

Try buying a reprogrammer and see what happens. Mine is hella slow out of the hole FWIW.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jrdavidson
I have 08' 4 door wrangler with 4 inch suspension lift, 35 inch wheels and automatic transmission. I know I'm not driving a sports car. However, I noticed that sometimes when I give it the gas to accelerate fairly quickly, there seems to be a delay of a second before the engine revs up. Is this normal or could it be related to the oversize tires? If not normal, is it correctable?

Thanks
I do think your refering to the way the on board computer handles sudden advances in throttle, it takes a second to ensure that is what you actually wanted to do not just getting jarred or something. there are some things out there to fix this i think it was a sprint throttle programer or something.

this is why some people feel that the JK has much less torque than the older jeeps as they "JUMPED" out the gate and LURCHED with fierceness with a slight tap of the throttle.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 PM
JK Junkie

I have been having an issue that sounds just like this. Mine has been a fuel injector problem that has been fixed by fuel injector cleaner. A short term solution
Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever cleaned your throttle body.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrdavidson

Thanks
Do you have a procal or tuner? If not, you need one to calibrate the tire size which will correct your shift points. Without it, the Jeep is going to be a dog with the 35's. Also, what gears are you running? Anything less than 4:10's with the auto will be struggling to turn those tires.

Quick Reply: Slow acceleration question