Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sloppy Steering and breaking, whats wrong???

Old 10-31-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy Steering and breaking, whats wrong???

Hey guys so i had 35 Nitto trail grapplers and a 2.5 inch terraflex coil lift installed back in early august. So i have put about 2000-3000 miles on them and the steering has started to get sloppy. I had it aligned and that helped a little bit. Also when i come to a hit the breaks the wheel will turn to one side pretty hard on its own if i dont hold it firm. What should i do? will a front adj lower control arms and a adj front trackbar fix this or help?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

check the obvious, tire inflation pressure or mismatched tire sizes.

Try swapping tires from side to side, a bad tire can also cause a pull.

Check to see if you have a stuck caliper - can be any of them front or rear

when you drive straight and let go of the steering wheel does it pull? if so, it's alignment or some component is loose, triple check your front end.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gusdaddy22
Hey guys so i had 35 Nitto trail grapplers and a 2.5 inch terraflex coil lift installed back in early august. So i have put about 2000-3000 miles on them and the steering has started to get sloppy. I had it aligned and that helped a little bit. Also when i come to a hit the breaks the wheel will turn to one side pretty hard on its own if i dont hold it firm. What should i do? will a front adj lower control arms and a adj front trackbar fix this or help?

yeah man, adjustable track bar and front lower control arms really stiffened up my front end, your caster is probably pretty low now that you are lifted. Sounds like textbook "darty" steering due to low caster.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely check that you don't have a caliper locking up on you. You don't want to experience an emergency stop with a locked up caliper.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would go for the adjustable front lowers to help with the general handling and adjustability but the braking problem could definitely be a stuck caliper
Old 11-01-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had a similar situation and found that all my drag link nuts were not tightened properly after an alignment (at a dealership of all places), they had also removed one of my JKS quick disconnects, and when they put it back on the forgot to re-sure the lock pins. I think my loose draglink was the biggest culprit.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by swanny297
Had a similar situation and found that all my drag link nuts were not tightened properly after an alignment (at a dealership of all places), they had also removed one of my JKS quick disconnects, and when they put it back on the forgot to re-sure the lock pins. I think my loose draglink was the biggest culprit.
At a dealership? Too much of this IMHO.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

I would check my ball joints to make sure they aren't shot. The JK ball joints are notoriously weak. Then move to tie rod ends and drag links.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/J.../alignment.jpg
Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

I had a similar problem with my old truck pulling to one side when I brake, turned out to be a squashed brake line on one side.

Doesn't take much to dent one, and then the brake fluid won't provide even pressure to all 4 wheels when braking. Worth checking it out anyways...
Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just won an ebay auction for RE adjustable front upper control arms. I'm hoping to get rid of the flighty steering on our 07. Does anyone know what center to center length is ideal for upper control arms with a 4" lift?

Originally Posted by Bosox5
yeah man, adjustable track bar and front lower control arms really stiffened up my front end, your caster is probably pretty low now that you are lifted. Sounds like textbook "darty" steering due to low caster.

Quick Reply: Sloppy Steering and breaking, whats wrong???