Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Slight wobble at 55 mph

Old 10-15-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually about $90. I paid $189 at my local sullivan tire for lifetime alignment. Makes it easy to bring it in after wheeling to have everything checked. Usually it's just the toe that gets out of whack but I still feel better after getting my printout with all my specs. Make sure you get some kind of printout if you do get it professionally aligned.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im gonna put mine on the alignment rack tomorrow and see whats going on with it ,looked at the front of the jeep this morning with the wheels straight ahead and it looks like my tires are toe'd out could just be me so I will find out tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by golfer97
Bring it in for a full alignment reading. See what your toe is set at and your camber. I can't remember but I think having your toe set in slightly can cause some wobble.
How do you adjust camber on a solid axle without offset ball joints?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foxbody

By letting out the lower control arm. Your balljoints won't have issues until extreme camber ranges.
Letting it out?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Newbie

Camber is not adjustable without adjustable ball joints. So from the factory, our JK's canot have the camber adjusted. I only suggested getting it looked at as that might tell you if your outer C's are bent. If so, that could be causing some driveability issue. If they are bent, you might see some uneven tire wear. As for adjusting control arms, that deals with caster and pinion angle, not camber.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

So i got a alignment to to day my toe in was at .40 and they adjusted it to .20 and it seems the wobble/shimmy is almost totally gone. my castor is at 3.7 and im happy with that i don't want to go to hight and get drive shaft vibration.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I did another rotate yesterday had slight wobble on the way home but nothing this morning. Did an alignment found toe at .57 reset to .38 to have a little toe in . In my years of experience as a tech I have found that vehicles with big tires tend to wonder if toe is set to factory spec so I gonna try it were it is and see what happens if I need to I will reset to .25 total toe which is a slight toe in from factory spec. Im thinking it maybe time to use my tire warranty at 4wheel parts for a couple new tires.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foxbody

My bad. Read and said camber but was thinking caster
Lol... Figured
Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bring thread back(have the exact issue slight shimmy at around 55 only)

So I just started to notice this issue as well. Just trying to get a little insite before wasting money. I have recently gotten an alignment and the tires are only a few months old( balanced a DTD and shipped to me.) Just started to notice this issue. Not sure I really trust the shop that did my alignment considering I was there all day and the first time they did it , it didn't feel right so I had the re check everything. I know the only thing that they can adjust it the toe, and I don't really want to waste another 80 bucks for no reason, but if theres chance that a shop could mess it up and this is causing my wobble then I guess i will. Any other thoughts? Or anything I can do myself to verify if what the printout they gave me is actually right?

Quick Reply: Slight wobble at 55 mph