Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Slight wobble at 55 mph

Old 10-13-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight wobble at 55 mph

I have noticed I have a slight wobble/shimmy at 55mph. I have replaced all the track bar bolts with 9/16x3in grade 8 bolts. Tires are balanced and everything looks great. Any ideas?

Last edited by Robar; 10-13-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

I got a wobble as well and checked everything you did. I think mine is due to either my camber being off (most likely slightly bent C's) or possibly the fact that I need to replace my ball joints as the passenger side are toast. Have you had an alignment doen recently to look at camber, toe, etc?
Old 10-13-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

No I have not had an alignment. It seems the wobble came out of know where.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by golfer97
I got a wobble as well and checked everything you did. I think mine is due to either my camber being off (most likely slightly bent C's) or possibly the fact that I need to replace my ball joints as the passenger side are toast. Have you had an alignment doen recently to look at camber, toe, etc?
How many miles do you have on the ball joints. I only have 15k on mine.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverbackjk
I have noticed I have a slight wobble/shimmy at 55mph. I have replaced all the track bar bolts with 9/16x3in grade 8 bolts. Tires are balanced and everything looks great. Any ideas?
Rotate your tires. If the wobble goes away or changes, it's tire balance. I've fought this battle a lot.

Last edited by Robar; 10-13-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by silverbackjk
How many miles do you have on the ball joints. I only have 15k on mine.
26K miles. Almost all of it has been with 35's and my wheeling is a lot of rock climbing so I am not exactly nice to my Jeep. My passenger side ball joints have about a 1/4" upward play in them. Driver side is solid as can be. I have a new set of aftermarket ones ready to go in. Just need to find the time and rent the tools to get the stock ones out!
Old 10-13-2012, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by golfer97
26K miles. Almost all of it has been with 35's and my wheeling is a lot of rock climbing so I am not exactly nice to my Jeep. My passenger side ball joints have about a 1/4" upward play in them. Driver side is solid as can be. I have a new set of aftermarket ones ready to go in. Just need to find the time and rent the tools to get the stock ones out!
ill check the ball joints this weekend
Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Loose bolts in the suspension, bad ball joints, bad wheel bearings, a shot stabilizer, etc can let it wobble, but that stuff doesn't start the wobble. There hasta be a tire out of balance, or a tire out of round, or a tire with mis-aligned plies, or a bent wheel, or a bent axle, or some such to get the wobbling started in the first place.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had same issue at 45-50 for awhile. I had my tires balanced not too long before it started, but turned out one was out of balance and causing my wobble. also the bigger the tire, the more easily and more often they seem to get off balance.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had this as well but it just ended up being a tire with a small bubble on the interior (towards wheel well) sidewall. I looked two or three times but couldn't see it until I took the tire off. Felt relieved that this was the issue and not something more serious.

Quick Reply: Slight wobble at 55 mph