Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Slight vibration

Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight vibration

Hey all, I am experiencing a slight vibration when almost coasting, light acceleration at about 35 mph. I have a 4" lift and have set the rear pinion angle almost (by eye) in line with the drive shaft. I still have the stock driveshaft by the way. I was gonna get the aftermarket double cardin shaft when life threw me a curve ball. My question is, should I increase the angle or decrease it? I am restricted to pavement now since I gotta get my leaky basement fixed and the funds have got to go there.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did the problem come some time after the lift or was it there right after the install? you may want to decrease you pinion angle to be equal to the angle at the t- case. when you get your double cardin shaft, go back to the setting your at now. inspect your stock shaft for damage and make plans on getting a new one.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't think you had to change your pinion angle with the stock cv driveshaft, I have a 4in Superlift on a 4dr, didn't change mine, no vibes whatsoever.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a 2dr? I think by rotating your pinion more inline puts more of a bind on the stock drive shaft, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think many 2drs are getting much life out of the stock shafts anyway on 4in lift.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:03 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodo
Hey all, I am experiencing a slight vibration when almost coasting, light acceleration at about 35 mph. I have a 4" lift and have set the rear pinion angle almost (by eye) in line with the drive shaft. I still have the stock driveshaft by the way. I was gonna get the aftermarket double cardin shaft when life threw me a curve ball. My question is, should I increase the angle or decrease it? I am restricted to pavement now since I gotta get my leaky basement fixed and the funds have got to go there.
the factory shafts use CV joints and your vibes shouldn't be coming from them regardless of what angle they're in. this is especially true if you are feeling the vibe while coasting. have you tried to get your tires balanced?

Quick Reply: Slight vibration