Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Slight tears in driveshaft plastic boot...

Old 03-14-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight tears in driveshaft plastic boot...

Don't have access to my digital camera to take pictures, but its pretty self explanatory. The accordian looking plastic boot thats on my rear driveshaft has some slight trail damage. Some of the creases have slightly seperated and/or tore away....not gouged out, just split in a way... all of which I cannot fit more than a finger through.

I know it was mentioned that this helps keep the DS greased (meaning, the boot helps to keep road spray, water, etc from washing it off) by covering it. Does it pose any threats of causing my rear DS to crap out on me too!? haha.... I mean, I just found out a couple days ago my front DS went, I don't wanna find out my rear went too!

Can I just throw some Gorilla tape on there and call it a day?

Input fellas?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:32 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you'll be okay running it for a while but, you might want to keep an eye out for a replacement factory shaft. i see them come up from time to time and you can pick them up for cheap. if you run it like that for too long, the slip shaft will start to cease up and do damage to your cv joints. trust me, i have seen it happen.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you'll be okay running it for a while but, you might want to keep an eye out for a replacement factory shaft. i see them come up from time to time and you can pick them up for cheap. if you run it like that for too long, the slip shaft will start to cease up and do damage to your cv joints. trust me, i have seen it happen.
By all means, I do trust you... just the fact that I dropped over $6k this month, im trying to avoid draining the funds any more for at least a couple more months! Also, should I even bother puttin' some tape on there? Or does it really not matter? Will keeping it greased help also, if I was to apply it myself? Or is that not able to be done on the rear driveshafts?

Yea, I see them on here from time to time as well. Just for confirmation, 2 door rear DS's are too short, correct? Needs to be a 4 door rear DS?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
I'm on my phone right now so I can't see where you are from but it just so happens ill be installing my new JE Reel shafts either this weekend or next and I'll have a stock front and rear drive shaft for sale. PM me if ur interested and close. I'm sure we could work out a price.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Just for confirmation, 2 door rear DS's are too short, correct? Needs to be a 4 door rear DS?
Yes, it needs to be for a 4dr.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh I forgot to mention the DS will be off my 2012 JKU. As long as I get to my install this weekend it will have less the 2k miles on it and maybe 100 of those miles are mild to moderate wheeling.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get a new shaft. Check around for local driveline shops. Most of the time they make them cheaper and just as good if not better than the big guys that sell for around $600. Just an example, my local shop makes them built to order with a 3 year abuse proof warranty, and they are well know around here for quality, they use genuine spicer joints, and they are $300 installed. Can't beat that!

Quick Reply: Slight tears in driveshaft plastic boot...