Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Slight Steering Wobble

Old 09-20-2021, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight Steering Wobble

A few months ago my steering was a total mess. Lots of play. All stock parts. Replaced entire steering setup with Synergy. The steering is MUCH better now but the wheel has a slight wobble from around 40mph to around 70mph. It is by no means death wobble. Just a vibration where the steering wheel goes from around 11:58 to around 12:02.

Could the wobble be the tires? They have around 40% tread remaining, with the passenger rear having 90% tread.

After having the whole steering system replaced I'm chasing the ever elusive "perfect steering." All that's left is the steering wheel wobble.

2015 JK Sport, 75k miles, 2" lift
4.88 G2 gears
Front & Rear Eaton e-lockers
35" Milestar Patagonia, around 20k miles on them except passenger rear has a around 5k miles
Synergy: tie rod, drag link, track bar, track bar/sector shaft brace
OME Springs
Stock control arms (for now)
Rock Jock AntiRock sway bar and links
Fox 2.0 TS steering stabilizer
Fox 2.0 front & rear shocks

Old 09-20-2021, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Any sort of caster correction with your 2" lift? Usually when it's a speed range situational wobble it's tire-related....often times a balance issue. The first trouble shooting is typically rotating tires front to back to just see if there's a difference. easy and free to do. You might just double-check any play in your ball joints. Not many miles on the jeep for it to be play in the steering box IMO.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

After posting this thread I rotated my tires, and now the wobble is almost gone. It had been a while since I'd rotated, and my front tires were hosed. I'm going to run the previously front tires on the rear for a while before replacing them.
Also the ball joints are good, they have around 25k miles on them and were checked recently by a mechanic I trust.

Originally Posted by resharp001
Any sort of caster correction with your 2" lift? Usually when it's a speed range situational wobble it's tire-related....often times a balance issue. The first trouble shooting is typically rotating tires front to back to just see if there's a difference. easy and free to do. You might just double-check any play in your ball joints. Not many miles on the jeep for it to be play in the steering box IMO.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Keep in mind that mud tires will have some feedback in the steering wheel, especially as they wear down and get rock damage to them. It’s the nature of the beast. Resharp is right though that a vibration at 40(ish) mph is typically a tire balance issue. I have about 5k miles on my 37” Cooper sst’s and need to have them balanced again. I wheel somewhat aggressive and my tires show it and need to be balanced often. It’s a small price to pay to prolong expensive rubbers.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

That's what I'm thinking is happening. I rotated day before yesterday so now one old one and a newer one is up front and the problem is noticeably less. I'm probably going to swap the old front with the new spare and see how that feels. If it's gone I'll run the older ones on the back for a while and will probably buy a whole new set in the Spring. I'm also going to get all of them balanced soon.

Originally Posted by Sv_dude
Keep in mind that mud tires will have some feedback in the steering wheel, especially as they wear down and get rock damage to them. It’s the nature of the beast. Resharp is right though that a vibration at 40(ish) mph is typically a tire balance issue. I have about 5k miles on my 37” Cooper sst’s and need to have them balanced again. I wheel somewhat aggressive and my tires show it and need to be balanced often. It’s a small price to pay to prolong expensive rubbers.

Quick Reply: Slight Steering Wobble