Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

slight steering pop

Old 03-17-2014, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slight steering pop

hey everyone, ive noticed lately that every now and then i can hear a little pop noise come from my steering if i drive slow and shake the steering wheel left and right, this might sound dumb but when it pops i can feel it in the gas pedal... i want to say my 09 that i had before done the same thing... is this a jeep thing?? or something else??
Old 03-17-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 08 does it. Usually it's the steering wheel shaft in the bay. Putting some grease in fixes it from what I've read. I also don't think it's anything to worry bout as I've not seen one post where it actually caused an issue for someone.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
My 08 does it. Usually it's the steering wheel shaft in the bay. Putting some grease in fixes it from what I've read. I also don't think it's anything to worry bout as I've not seen one post where it actually caused an issue for someone.

Thanks, I here it every now and then and figured it wasn't a big issue.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check out planman's DW thread as he has a great breakdown of diagnoising front end issues. This will help you find any loose joints or bolts up front that could cause a clunk, pop, bump or bang.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
I would check out planman's DW thread as he has a great breakdown of diagnoising front end issues. This will help you find any loose joints or bolts up front that could cause a clunk, pop, bump or bang.
will do, thanks
Old 03-17-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If it's the normal steering shaft clunk that many of us have, check the pics in posts #286/287 in this thread. Super easy to spit some thick grease in there.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...n-4530/page29/
Old 03-17-2014, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
If it's the normal steering shaft clunk that many of us have, check the pics in posts #286/287 in this thread. Super easy to spit some thick grease in there. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...n-4530/page29/

Prefect, thanks!

Quick Reply: slight steering pop