Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Slider decision.. Rockhard or VKS?

Old 12-27-2015, 03:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HF 3 pack. This bit should be all you need for the 3/8 self threaders.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1853333221.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	632895  
Old 12-27-2015, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm always afraid of body mounted sliders, They all pretty much claim they can support the weight of the Jeep. They can when lifted with a forklift. I just don't know about constant bashing of the sliders on rocks. You don't gently lift your Jeep by it's sliders, you have the weight of the Jeep coming down quickly on one spot, way diff. then lifting with a fork lift. I've seen body mounted sliders removed and a crease all along the body from the slider bashing into the thin sheet metal of the body. I also don't like just 2 mounting locations on the frame, for frame mounted sliders, like the ones above. They must have 3 or 4 mounting locations, and be welded or bolted to the frame as far as I am concerned. I try to buy the best heavy duty ones I can find because I believe there is no better test then the test of time. Other then bashing them on rocks and not have them bend into the body and do damage. I guarantee you I would bash those sliders with only 2 mounting locations right into the body in no time, and I have with my last set.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:25 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dahreno
I'm always afraid of body mounted sliders, They all pretty much claim they can support the weight of the Jeep. They can when lifted with a forklift. I just don't know about constant bashing of the sliders on rocks. You don't gently lift your Jeep by it's sliders, you have the weight of the Jeep coming down quickly on one spot, way diff. then lifting with a fork lift. I've seen body mounted sliders removed and a crease all along the body from the slider bashing into the thin sheet metal of the body. I also don't like just 2 mounting locations on the frame, for frame mounted sliders, like the ones above. They must have 3 or 4 mounting locations, and be welded or bolted to the frame as far as I am concerned. I try to buy the best heavy duty ones I can find because I believe there is no better test then the test of time. Other then bashing them on rocks and not have them bend into the body and do damage. I guarantee you I would bash those sliders with only 2 mounting locations right into the body in no time, and I have with my last set.
The body mounts suck. That I can agree on which is why I switched to a frame mounted setup.

For 2 door jeeps with a frame mounted slider, you don't need 3 legs per each slider as 2 are just fine. That's like saying you need 4 legs per each slider on a JKU frame mount slider like an EVO or a VKS (bolted or welded on) which typically come with 3 and also saying you could bash them into the tub....... I call BS unless you're dropping your rig off of 50 foot ledges or some other crazy shiznits...

**edit**
For 2 door jeeps with a frame mounted slider, you don't need 3 legs per each slider as 2 PROPERLY PLACED LEGS are just fine. 2 legs will do just fine for 2 door models (3 legs for JKU models) as long as each leg isn't on the very far ends of each slider thus leaving the middle section of the DOM tubing to potentially fold in the middle. Even then, if you can fold 1 ¾ “ x .120” DOM Tubing that have also been gusseted, then you're doing some pretty heavy hardcore wheeling...

Last edited by DJ1; 12-27-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:32 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
I ran into another issue. Seems to be only with early JK's. On my drivers side theres a u-shaped piece of metal that wraps the frame. Bolting up the leg would leave a gap. I posted for advice but ended up trying to grind it off. Then discovered the damn nut is welded to it. Underneath theres a larger hole.

I finished grinding the front face flat to seat the leg. Monday im going to have the underside welded back up. Heres some pics including one of a newer 2 door without this u-shaped chuck of Bs.
Yeah must be the earlier models. I didn't have that issue on the 2012 at least...
Old 12-27-2015, 08:34 AM
DJ1
Former Member

HF 3 pack. This bit should be all you need for the 3/8 self threaders.
sounds good. I'll be doing this on Monday/Tuesday
Old 12-27-2015, 08:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DJ1
sounds good. I'll be doing this on Monday/Tuesday
Good luck
Old 12-27-2015, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DJ1
The body mounts suck. That I can agree on which is why I switched to a frame mounted setup. For 2 door jeeps with a frame mounted slider, you don't need 3 legs per each slider as 2 are just fine. That's like saying you need 4 legs per each slider on a JKU frame mount slider like an EVO or a VKS (bolted or welded on) which typically come with 3 and also saying you could bash them into the tub....... I call BS unless you're dropping your rig off of 50 foot ledges or some other crazy shiznits...
Agree, i guess it would depend how far the slider sits from the body.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ran into another issue. Seems to be only with early JK's. On my drivers side theres a u-shaped piece of metal that wraps the frame. Bolting up the leg would leave a gap. I posted for advice but ended up trying to grind it off. Then discovered the damn nut is welded to it. Underneath theres a larger hole. I finished grinding the front face flat to seat the leg. Monday im going to have the underside welded back up. Heres some pics including one of a newer 2 door without this u-shaped chuck of Bs. First issue, the front 2 lower mounting points on my JK not used (auto trans skid maybe ? ) VKS doesnt supply bolts for these so i had to search for 2 12mx1.5x40.0 stock bolts and a thread chaser. I had 3 weeks to get everything together. Taps, step drills, extensions for the step bits, etc. 1 warm day to pre-fit/install before paint. Well that Turned to crap. Ps the 16 frame bolts are 3/8, and HF sells a step bit with longer sections to clear the thickness of the frame (5/16 will work with a 3/8 tap) Totally not VKS's fault, i hope a note is made on their site "early JK's will need to grind/weld and source 2 bolts along with the drills taps already discussed" Edit: i found out the JK's shock and swaybar bolts will work, Just need to be cut down.
What years of jks have that issue?
Old 12-27-2015, 04:40 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by twofourflinching
What years of jks have that issue?
Kjeeper10 has a 2007. I've got a 2012 that doesn't have it. So the change was made sometime in between. You pretty much just have to get down and take a quick look assuming you're going with the VKS prerunners. If you're getting the VKS versions of the EVO's, then I don't think it'll matter since you'll be welding in an area that is most likely above it...

Last edited by DJ1; 12-27-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got a set of the VKS sliders on cyber monday for a steal. Love em. I mounted them with a slight downward rake due to some interference from my LCA brackets (nobody else should have that issue). You can see the damage from my rubicon sliders at the front....

Last edited by TweakJK; 12-27-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Slider decision.. Rockhard or VKS?