Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sleeves and c gussets installing question?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeves and c gussets installing question?

I have a 2 door sport with the d30 and I'm wanting to sleeve and c gusset it. Is this something I can do myself? I have a hobart handler 140 but I'm not a expert welder. I would like to carry it to a shop and have it done but I don't no of anyone that does it in mississippi or close by for that matter. I'm debating on doing this and running 35s or buying a prorock44 and going 37s it would cost more to run the 37s on a pr but would be a lot more hassle free I believe but if I could find someone to do sleeves and gussets I will go with the d30 and 35s I'm just trying to weigh my options hear.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by asphalt assault
I would get it done right as there is not a second time.... but to be honest I would go with the 37" route with a PR if I were you just because your thinking of it. it will be more cost to gusset the 30 and 35"s then you may decide to go for the 37"s anyway.

so to sum up.... if your going to stick with 35's then ok but really pusshing that Dana 30 center section with that.

If your thinking of 37"s your probably going to get 37"s one day..... if it is one thing I have learned is that you should not compromise as it is cheaper in the long run.

hope that helps

oh if your getting a PR get the 60. you may as well. close to same cost since you have no internals for a PR44. most get the PR44 if they have a rubicon.... if they had no internals then they would have gone for the PR60. do the right thing and get a 60.
Your right man that pr is gonna kill the pocket book though.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vinson Clark
Is this something I can do myself?
Only you can answer that question. If I had a welder I would attempt it and learn how to do it and learn to get it right. What's the point in having the tools and not using them?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

I have a buddy who just got a welder, so I can not wait to get the free days off to tear that d30 up and get some beefy gussets on it. I am not too worried about the sleeves, the d30 definitely won't be under my JK permanently
Old 05-27-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinson Clark
I have a 2 door sport with the d30 and I'm wanting to sleeve and c gusset it. Is this something I can do myself? I have a hobart handler 140 but I'm not a expert welder. ...
Gussets you are probably okay--just keep the balljoints cool. Sleeves? Do you know what a plug weld is? If not, do you really want to learn on your Jeep?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Everyone I know, including myself, who was thinking of 35's eventually got 37's and wasted a lot of money in-between! I just got done on a build till 3am Sunday putting a prorock under a JKU, that thing is sick! Probably the way I should have gone, I've sleeved, c-gussets, gusset lower ARM mounts, right upper ARM mounts, Truss complete axle, built/gusset trackbar and steering stabilized mount, just to get close to prorock strength! Then put RCV axle and dynatrack ball joints. All just to run 37's hard!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Gussets you are probably okay--just keep the balljoints cool. Sleeves? Do you know what a plug weld is? If not, do you really want to learn on your Jeep?
another question for the gussets is "do you know how to properly weld mild steel to cast?"
Old 05-27-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mjolnir

another question for the gussets is "do you know how to properly weld mild steel to cast?"
This is definitely a great point to be considered by mjolnir.

For those guys who have never seen or welded with cast it has to absolutely be the right temp and penetration or it literally runs the metal out of the joint.

It is all about timing. good hot tacks and giving it time to cool throughout. I have also read that alternating side to side helps Fill in slow and all should go well. I can't wait to try it out
Old 05-27-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

I'm no expert welder I've done some backyard MIG welding hear and there but to be honest I don't want to put my welding skills to the test on a 2011 jeep. My jeep is completly bone stock so it would prolly benefit me better to get the pr now and spend a little more money than beef up the d30 and replace it down the road.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Castalone
Everyone I know, including myself, who was thinking of 35's eventually got 37's and wasted a lot of money in-between! I just got done on a build till 3am Sunday putting a prorock under a JKU, that thing is sick! Probably the way I should have gone, I've sleeved, c-gussets, gusset lower ARM mounts, right upper ARM mounts, Truss complete axle, built/gusset trackbar and steering stabilized mount, just to get close to prorock strength! Then put RCV axle and dynatrack ball joints. All just to run 37's hard!
How was the install on the pr man is it pretty much a bolt on deal? What suspension was on the jeep? What all was done to steering and are you talking about the 44 or 60?

Quick Reply: Sleeves and c gussets installing question?