Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sleeve and gussets...really needed?

Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJC
I'm planning on a 3" lift and 35's and see a lot of talk on getting this done, but nothing about anyone that had an issue to actually need it.

Who has had the bad experience that found this a necessity?

THANKS.
I used to be a process engineer for the company that makes the axles you have under your jeep and the 30m front axle is no where near designed to withstand those extremes...the sleeves and gussets will help prolong this set up but it is enivitable they will fail as will all axles unless you run more axle than required for your set up....but what would i know its all in how you use your jeep that will decide how long it lasts

Last edited by GrimJK; 05-24-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:22 PM
MJC
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't disagree with the insurance aspect, but sill haven't heard from someone that shows they didn't and oops. Does this mean everyone does it, so it's never a problem? Not sure.

Looking at it, I can see the need for the upper, but then again is it just insurance for the lower and sleeves?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MJC
I don't disagree with the insurance aspect, but sill haven't heard from someone that shows they didn't and oops. Does this mean everyone does it, so it's never a problem? Not sure.

Looking at it, I can see the need for the upper, but then again is it just insurance for the lower and sleeves?
you mean like this kind of oops?

or this?

again, while i've never had any problems running our big white JK without any sleeves, i have personally seen un-sleeved axles housing break on the trail. contrary to what the fear mongers will have you believe, it's not real common by a long shot but, i can happen.

Quick Reply: Sleeve and gussets...really needed?