Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sleeve and Gusset question Please Help!!

Old 12-15-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeve and Gusset question Please Help!!

So im looking at running 37's on my rig with 5.13, but the delima im in right now is that ive been researching what kind of sleeves and gussets i should get to reenforce my stock rubi axle. Im pretty much set on the Evo C2 axle gussets and the 44 mag sleeves, but from what i've seen everything thing they have is for the front axle. I was under the impression when reading through some of the post here it would be best to do both front and rear? can some one please explain this to me. thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

The rear JK axle is stronger than the front and does not require as much reinforcement. There are some things you can do, but typically people do more to the front than the rear.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Strengthening the rear wouldn't be a bad idea, but the front should be your main concern.

Another point to consider before install is your future upgrade plans. Inner sleeves don't play nice with 35sp shafts, so you rule out an arb replacement for a failed factory locker.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CrushJKU
So im looking at running 37's on my rig with 5.13, but the delima im in right now is that ive been researching what kind of sleeves and gussets i should get to reenforce my stock rubi axle. Im pretty much set on the Evo C2 axle gussets and the 44 mag sleeves, but from what i've seen everything thing they have is for the front axle. I was under the impression when reading through some of the post here it would be best to do both front and rear? can some one please explain this to me. thanks
Running 37" tires does not in and of itself dictate the need to beef up the axle. It depends on your wheeling style. If you do a fair amount of high speed off road stuff, where it would be easy to catch some air under the front end, then you will need them on the front. (most people only do the front, if anything) If your wheeling is more low speed rock crawling, then you might need them, might not. I have been wheeling my Rubi JKU with a hemi with 37s in CO and Moab for 3 years. My front axle has no reinforcement and is dead straight. Keep in mind that even if you bend a tube, it is not the end of the world - you can still drive with a bent tube. The last time I checked a local shop by me charges $250 to straighten it. So my choice was to "wait and see" if I really needed to beef it up. So far, so good. No issues. There was a thread on this subject a while back and even Dynatrac posted that you can run 37s on a stock JK D44 as long as you have reasonable expectations. I think they nailed it.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by therza
Running 37" tires does not in and of itself dictate the need to beef up the axle. It depends on your wheeling style. If you do a fair amount of high speed off road stuff, where it would be easy to catch some air under the front end, then you will need them on the front. (most people only do the front, if anything) If your wheeling is more low speed rock crawling, then you might need them, might not. I have been wheeling my Rubi JKU with a hemi with 37s in CO and Moab for 3 years. My front axle has no reinforcement and is dead straight. Keep in mind that even if you bend a tube, it is not the end of the world - you can still drive with a bent tube. The last time I checked a local shop by me charges $250 to straighten it. So my choice was to "wait and see" if I really needed to beef it up. So far, so good. No issues. There was a thread on this subject a while back and even Dynatrac posted that you can run 37s on a stock JK D44 as long as you have reasonable expectations. I think they nailed it.
Well this rig is going to be my DD, but i do intend on going wheelin at least 2 weekends out of the month which usually consist of a mix between mild rock crawling and trail riding, and eventually make a road trip up to the Rubicon and Moab. So your saying that the stock front D44 is capable of running a 37" tire with no "beefing up" and be able to withstand the demands of off road use?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are no definitive answers. Seriously, this topic is beaten into the dirt on a weekly basis, and no one can say if you will have issues. Just because someone else hasn't bent or broken the housing running 37's off-road doesn't mean that you will be ok. And just because someone else bends or shatters their housing running stock tires on-road doesn't mean that you will bend or shatter it. That's why the 'cheap insurance' phrase is tossed around so much. Base the need on your feelings about the strength of the housing, not the luck anyone else has had.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

My plan: beefed up D44 (sleeves, gussets) with my Rubi lockers until they totally fail. Beefing it up isn't much coin really. I want 5 yrs out of my D44 but will be happy with 3. If it lives longer; yippee. If not atleast I got some good use out of what I paid for (the Rubicon lockers). Then, $$$ProRock$$$ and ARB.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
There are no definitive answers. Seriously, this topic is beaten into the dirt on a weekly basis, and no one can say if you will have issues. Just because someone else hasn't bent or broken the housing running 37's off-road doesn't mean that you will be ok. And just because someone else bends or shatters their housing running stock tires on-road doesn't mean that you will bend or shatter it. That's why the 'cheap insurance' phrase is tossed around so much. Base the need on your feelings about the strength of the housing, not the luck anyone else has had.
Yes, it has been beaten into the dirt and even though nthinuf and I come at this from opposite sides of the debate, I agree with him. Your results may vary. I think it is all about wheeling style, expectations and whether or not you are more comfortable with the insurance than without it. Personally (and this is just me) I tend to focus on preventing failures that will leave me stranded on the trail or require a fair amount of wrenching to be able to drive. A mildly bent tube does not fall into that category, so I elect to not buy the insurance. Personal choice.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have personally seen 3 D44 JK fronts bent, 2 of which had barely been off road, all on 37's. It doesn't take much, just the right force, in the right spot.

Yes, sleeves and gussets do strengthen the areas that are sleeved and gusseted, but only transmits the force to another part of the axle...Sleeves don't extend into your diff.

I would highly recommend installing a truss. It will save you $$ in the end.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Strengthening the rear wouldn't be a bad idea, but the front should be your main concern.

Another point to consider before install is your future upgrade plans. Inner sleeves don't play nice with 35sp shafts, so you rule out an arb replacement for a failed factory locker.
Great point coz the factory locker is expensive.

Quick Reply: Sleeve and Gusset question Please Help!!