Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Slack in the steering wheel

Old 11-14-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slack in the steering wheel

realized I was jacking someone elses thread and that wasn't going to help either of us, so, my own thread!
First off, how much play should there be in the steering wheel? For a big heavy truck, I assumed the steering wouldn't be precise, but it seems I was wrong. So since I've lifted my jeep, I've noticed that I have alot of play in the steering wheel. I seem to be able to move it about .5-1" in either direction before noticing any response. I noticed this especially last time I was wheeling, when I got stuck in the mud and couldn't really get my wheels to turn much in either direction while I was trying to get unstuck. Any ideas? Also, took a look under, this is what my steering stabilizer looks like. It's stock, and I'm assuming the boot is just stuffed full of mud, but this might also be showing some other problem so I'll post a picture of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0146.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	236842
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0145.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	236844

So, I'm assuming I have too much play, and I'd love to know how to fix it. Or at the very least, know what to go to a dealership and tell them to fix. Jeep is brand new, 3500 miles
Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im staying tuned to this one as well. I have a lot of slop in my steering. Its driving me nuts. I hope there is a fix
Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think it would be your steering stabilizer. Some people even run without them. And did your stock one mushroom? I'm sure someone more mechanically inclined will chime in soon with a better answer
Old 11-15-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah I'm assuming the stock one got stuck full of mud (see my avatar) and somehow mushroomed. But most of my jeep knowledge comes from the internet, and I hav'nt found much advice on this issue, besides utilizing an adjustment screw on the steering box; and it sounds like if the box is covered by warranty its better to have a shop do it because the box needs to be taken apart.

But I'm hoping for someone to chime in
Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

first off, your steering stabilizer will not effect the amount of play you have in your steering wheel unless it's binding up. have any doubts, remove it completely and test your steering wheel again.

regarding the slack you feel, some slack is normal but if you really feel that it's excessive. here are somethings to check:

1. make sure that your drag link turnbuckle bolts and mounting bolts and track bar bolts are all tightend to torque spec.
2. check your pitman arm to see if it's loose or if there's any movement on the splines as you turn the wheel back and forth.
3. open your hood and check to see the firewall isolator has dropped down too far or out completely.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

>.> well see, it's posts like that that remind me how little I know about my jeep. Is there a picture diagram or something for any of those so I know what to go look at? I think the pitman are is the only one of those I actually know....

And thank you for the info, I have the day off so I will go take a look and see what I notice. Is there an easy, even if mcgyvery, way to check for movement by myself? Say a strap around the steering wheel or something?

oh and i guess I found the ever popular diagram of the steering components. still not sure on the firewall or turnknuckles, but I'm just going to go tug on things and see whats loose!

Last edited by sneck; 11-15-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

this should help

Trending Topics

Old 11-15-2011, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

so there I am, checking the wheels, seeing how much play there is. Turns out, its not as bad as I thought. I put the think to max left and suddenly my engine is covered in red fluid. Awesome. I'm off to the dealership, if anyone has any ideas let me know!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep us updated. That is no bueno.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by sneck
so there I am, checking the wheels, seeing how much play there is. Turns out, its not as bad as I thought. I put the think to max left and suddenly my engine is covered in red fluid. Awesome. I'm off to the dealership, if anyone has any ideas let me know!
sounds like you may have blown a seal on your steering box.

Quick Reply: Slack in the steering wheel