Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Skyjacker Hydro 7000's

Old 12-17-2008, 12:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skyjacker Hydro 7000's

Just thought I'd give my input on the Skyjacker Hydro 7000's.

I Installed a RC 2.5 bb w/ a set of Skyjacker Hydro shocks. The lift was very easy to install.
I had some help from friends who have already lifted their JK's, So we spent more time
shootin' the bull than working. The only thing we had to do when finished was re-center
the steering wheel.

I was nervous about buying cheap shocks, but no worries now!
The ride w/ the Skyjackers is perfect!

Just a tad firmer than stock... but smoother on the road, which is exactly what
I was hoping for. I haven't got a chance to flex it off road yet.

IMO, to anyone on a tight budget looking to upgrade their shock extensions...
the Skyjacker Hydro's are a good choice!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Great feedback! I wish more people would do that. I was looking for reviews on shocks when it was time for me to upgrade and it was like pulling teeth.

I can tell you that the full traction shocks are a good upgrade as well. They ride great! They are the FS5100 and cost about 44 dollars each. They extend to 27" and compress to 17" giving it about 10 inches of travel. Not bad for a 4 inch lift.

I will be going with teraflex for my next hydro shock. they have one that extends to 30.5 inches and compresses to 18". That is 3 more inches of droop and only 1 more inch of compression. Giveing me about 12-13 inches of travel. That is maxed out in my opinion. Greater then that you will want coilovers.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

thanks for the initial feedback ZoSo-Green. after you throw on 3-6k on your jeep, it'd be great if you could give us another review. i have run all kinds of hydro shocks over the years and have always found them to run nicely initially but, over time, the quality of them degraded and more often than not, much sooner than i would have prefered.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having good luck with the SkyJackers 7000's also.

I have 4k on them, And they have been stuffed and stretched with no ill effects.

At $30-ish a piece, They are a value, IMO
Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
thanks for the initial feedback ZoSo-Green. after you throw on 3-6k on your jeep, it'd be great if you could give us another review. i have run all kinds of hydro shocks over the years and have always found them to run nicely initially but, over time, the quality of them degraded and more often than not, much sooner than i would have prefered.
I have only had my Full tractions on for 3k miles and they still ride great but the paint and rough surface of the shaft is causing the seals to fail. Needless to say I wont be buying them agian.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Will do.
Driving 1500 mi round trip for xmas w/ some wheeling while Im there,
So I should get plenty of info.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down

I purchased Skyjacker 7000's along with my 2" budget boost. I would say the ride is better than stock however after about 10 miles on the road both of my top rear shock bushings disentegrated and I hade to reinstall my factory shocks. I ordered new bushings and reinstalled the shocks. After appx. 3 wks. I noticed that the rear end wasn't moving evenly and the lower bushing on one of the rear shocks was coming apart so I had to install 2 lower rear shock bushings. Since then I have put a couple thousand miles with no further issues. Overall I would have to say that I will not purchase anything else from Skyjacker.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dperk789
I purchased Skyjacker 7000's along with my 2" budget boost. I would say the ride is better than stock however after about 10 miles on the road both of my top rear shock bushings disentegrated and I hade to reinstall my factory shocks. I ordered new bushings and reinstalled the shocks. After appx. 3 wks. I noticed that the rear end wasn't moving evenly and the lower bushing on one of the rear shocks was coming apart so I had to install 2 lower rear shock bushings. Since then I have put a couple thousand miles with no further issues. Overall I would have to say that I will not purchase anything else from Skyjacker.
i dont know how long ago you purchased your lift and shocks, i got mine in April and had similar problems with the bushings. i called skyjacker and was told that they got "bad polyurethane" in the batch of bushings. i went to Quadratec and they gave me a replacement set, which was apparently from the same batch, i called skyjacker again and they overnighted me 2 replacement sets (free of charge) which i promptly installed and am still using the first set.

i wouldnt be so quick to write them off, my
Old 12-20-2008, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by paramaniac
i dont know how long ago you purchased your lift and shocks, i got mine in April and had similar problems with the bushings. i called skyjacker and was told that they got "bad polyurethane" in the batch of bushings. i went to Quadratec and they gave me a replacement set, which was apparently from the same batch, i called skyjacker again and they overnighted me 2 replacement sets (free of charge) which i promptly installed and am still using the first set.

i wouldnt be so quick to write them off, my
I purchased mine in Aug. so it's not like they couldn't figure out they had bad bushing in 5 months. I think it's a quality control issue and Skyjacker if they really cared about customer satisfaction would have addressed it sooner. Not to mention the fact that it was a pain in the A$$ for me to have to install rear shocks 3 separate times because they haven't figured out what compound to use for bushings.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:08 AM
JK Freak

Well I got my fingers crossed that I got the "new" bushings.

But anyway, 1500mi worth of interstate was smooth as silk.
I did a lil wheelin... and the only thing I really noticed was after some time
on a 'washboard' access road they started to get really rough, undoubtedly they
started foaming up. However I didn't notice any difference after getting off that road.

Quick Reply: Skyjacker Hydro 7000's