Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Skyjacker 2.5" Lift Anyone?

Old 12-26-2007, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully I will explain this right!
The rear track bar centers the axle at 90degress to the driveshaft. When you lift a vehicles suspension, this causes the axle to push to the passenger's side which changes the geometry slightly. The felt effect of this is different for different lifts. Most 2 or 3" lifts are actually a little less lift than advertised. Some lifts supply a bracket that simply bolts to the stock bolt location of the track bar and relocates the track bar attachment point, thus changing the geometry.
On some small lift kits, you might not even need it, or even notice anything other than a stiffer ride.
On my Skyjacker 2", then 2.5" lift, it was a neccesity even at the 2" stage.
The effect given is a noticable pull to the right, but when hitting small bumps in the road, you really feel it. That's when you know the geometry isn't right. Prior to installing the bracket, a small bump would jarr the jeep to the right. Now after installation, the rear wheels are equally measuring on each side to the fenderwell openings, and the dreaded jarr is gone. After getting the allignment done at a local tire shop, the pull to the right is history. The bracket was 50 bucks and worth the money. I heard about the bracket on another jk forum and others experienced the same positive results.

So if you go with a 2-3" lift, just remember that the rear track bar needs attention. Easy stuff!

Hope that helps
Old 12-26-2007, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I don't do anything hard core at all in the off-road department and I really want something a little better riding than my BB without busting the bank. I think this will be a nice alternative and I'll also get the BDS rear bracket. The Skyjacker one says that it is axle mounted...that doesn't even sound like a good setup...

Again thanks for all the info everyone.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

Where can i get this bracket ?
Old 12-27-2007, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by VETTE277
Where can i get this bracket ?
skyjacker.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is anyone using the front track bar bracket from Skyjacker?
Old 12-27-2007, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

I'm not using the front track bar bracket and my geometry is good. I have 275/70-R17 tires on 17x8.5 rims. Tire size CAN have an impact on the neccesity of additional lift adjustments such as a front track bar bracket or an adjustable front track bar, but I'm choosing to keep the tire size closer to stock.
If you were to put on a 295/75-R17 or greater, it can make the lift taller, and subsequently cause the need for more tweekage. A standard bracket might not address the needs of a taller wheel completely. If you plan on playing with tire sizes, just go ahead and get an adjustable front and rear track bar. They are super easy to set up and adjust. Plus, if you decide to go to a taller lift later on, the track bars would most likely be re-usable.
If you plan on staying near a stock overall tire size like I have, then the rear bracket will work well.

Am I allowed to provide a link where I purchased the BDS bracket?
Some Forums are funny about that stuff.
If you guys say it's OK, then I'll send you the link.
Good luck!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A'sJK
I'm not using the front track bar bracket and my geometry is good. I have 275/70-R17 tires on 17x8.5 rims. Tire size CAN have an impact on the neccesity of additional lift adjustments such as a front track bar bracket or an adjustable front track bar, but I'm choosing to keep the tire size closer to stock.
If you were to put on a 295/75-R17 or greater, it can make the lift taller, and subsequently cause the need for more tweekage. A standard bracket might not address the needs of a taller wheel completely. If you plan on playing with tire sizes, just go ahead and get an adjustable front and rear track bar. They are super easy to set up and adjust. Plus, if you decide to go to a taller lift later on, the track bars would most likely be re-usable.
If you plan on staying near a stock overall tire size like I have, then the rear bracket will work well.

Am I allowed to provide a link where I purchased the BDS bracket?
Some Forums are funny about that stuff.
If you guys say it's OK, then I'll send you the link.
Good luck!!!
Hey thanks for the info. If you would prefer you can PM me where you got the BDS bracket from as I have been searching for it. Thx!

Quick Reply: Skyjacker 2.5" Lift Anyone?