Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Skids and warranty issues?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skids and warranty issues?

Waiting impatiently for ORE to come out with the skids for my 11 Rubi. Was just wondering if anyone has heard of the dealer killing parts of the warranty for skids. Do they just tack on an extra charge if they have to take down skids?
Old 11-23-2011, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

ORE is coming out with skids that cover the Oil Pan, Tranny and cross member. When I had the 2010 I just ran stock skids but for 2011 they deleted a skid and put a crappy bar across instead. I have the lifetime bumper to bumper on the Jeep.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed, looking into this as well.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the aftermarket part you installed caused failure of whatever part you were trying to claim warranty on. For example an aftermarket rock rail is not going to cause failure of the transmission. However if you were sliding on said rock rail and managed to run a rock through your transmission don't go asking the dealer for a new transmission under warranty.

I can see the service center asking for some additional money to cover the labor to remove a non-factory skid plate in order to access whatever part he was trying to change. If you are worried about it why not just remove the skid before you take the Jeep in for warranty service?

If you have some spare time on your hands why not read up on this:

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from fraudulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner’s manual under, “what is not covered”. Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such a claim or offer an explanation, it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202 326-3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you put extra crap on your vehicle and you expect the dealer to remove it and reinstall it to service a warranty repair then they deserve to be paid for their time.

Quick Reply: Skids and warranty issues?