Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

SkidRow engine/tranny skid. Oil change question.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a screw on drain plug with tube attachment. Essentially, you replace your drain plug with this and a cover. When you want to drain, you screw off the drain cover, and screw on the drain tube -- it has a spring that pushes in the center of the drain plug to let the oil drain out as the drain tube is screwed on. No mess afterwards.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I was kiddin about the lazy part.....and I agree like THREE MILLION PERCENT about your R&D comment. Stuff like this really pisses me off. These companies are ROBBING people like you and me with PISS POOR workmanship and R&D. I'm glad you posted this, cause I know to steer clear of Skid Row. I already knew it though, cause somebody else was unhappy with something they made on here too. How much of the skid would have to be cut to get the hole the right size?
Dude, dont go ripping on Skid Row for something like that. I think just about any skid plate, including Rock Hard (talk about robbing you for $100 more) is going to have this issue unless you have a HUGE hole in the skid to drain the oil. The oil shoots out far, especially if its warm, then as it gets down to the last quart or so, it doesnt shoot out hardly at all, then when your down to a trickle, it drops straight down, so that hole would need to be like 10" big in order to not get any oil on the skid! I dont know about you, but I sure dont want no huge hole in the bottom of my skid plate exposing parts that its suppose to protect. So I think they did do their R&D just fine, by making a hole big enough to allow you to use some kind of funnel or deflector, but no too big that it make the skid week, or lets a big rock, sticks and so on to poke a hole in your oil pan.

I still like my Skid Row and Im glad I got this one over the others, a little issue like that, that a 99 cent funnel or pop bottle can fix, is not worth loosing sleep over
Old 05-13-2008, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

something like this...
w_w.quickoildrainvalve.com

Thread size is M14 - 1.50x20 I believe...

Last edited by myorbital91; 05-13-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
i want to get that skid plate and my idea for a fix was to install one of them oil drain valves. i don't have one now because without a skid there is a good chance of snapping it on a rock and i'll have a real problem. with the skid plate there, no worries and it'll make it easy to drain.

i think the messy part of changing the oil is the filter. i'd love to find a relocation kit.
i wanted to get one, but fram stopped making them

if you find a source please let me know, that would solve the problem in a heart beat

but seriously once you perfect the funneling process it isnt that hard to change the oil

takes me about 15 minutes, start to finish
Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My TJ had this skid plate and I replaced the drain cap with one that accepts a special hose that you can direct into any container.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was planning on ordering this. Sounds like I will have to get the quick valve drain as well or make a mess on my garage floor. Any other issues with Skid row. Yes I realize that the Rockhard would have the same issue but I am interested in skidrow.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Eracer76
Dude, dont go ripping on Skid Row for something like that. I think just about any skid plate, including Rock Hard (talk about robbing you for $100 more) is going to have this issue unless you have a HUGE hole in the skid to drain the oil. The oil shoots out far, especially if its warm, then as it gets down to the last quart or so, it doesnt shoot out hardly at all, then when your down to a trickle, it drops straight down, so that hole would need to be like 10" big in order to not get any oil on the skid! I dont know about you, but I sure dont want no huge hole in the bottom of my skid plate exposing parts that its suppose to protect. So I think they did do their R&D just fine, by making a hole big enough to allow you to use some kind of funnel or deflector, but no too big that it make the skid week, or lets a big rock, sticks and so on to poke a hole in your oil pan.

I still like my Skid Row and Im glad I got this one over the others, a little issue like that, that a 99 cent funnel or pop bottle can fix, is not worth loosing sleep over
No, it's not worth losing sleep over, but I just gave "MY" opinion, ripping, or not, it's still MINE. I think that ANY product that shows crappy R&D like this does deserves to be ripped. They could have designed a better hunk of metal for better than 300 bucks. PERIOD.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RuBob
anyone with the Rockhard skid want to chime in on their oil change experience? i have the Rockhard skid and am just about due for an oil change.

thanks
well... the deflector piece they have in there helps.... but its still not mess free. But at least the oil is pretty much contained to the skid cut out and deflector. Its about a 3/4 shop rag clean up I have thought about cutting out a 2 liter soda bottle to fit in there and contain the mess a little better, but honestly its not really that bad. I cant even imagine the kind of mess the guys with the skid row plate make
Old 05-14-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is kind of wierd, i have not had a single complaint from any of the 3 jeeps dealers that have changed to oil in RubyDoo (got the free oil change maintance package), And after every change i check under there and its always been clean, maybe because it flat instead of up on ramps?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jkkat
This is kind of wierd, i have not had a single complaint from any of the 3 jeeps dealers that have changed to oil in RubyDoo (got the free oil change maintance package), And after every change i check under there and its always been clean, maybe because it flat instead of up on ramps?
Could well be. Having it on ramps or jacked up may actually be the problem. Personally, I am going to make my own skid. I like some of the older FJ40 Landcruiser stuff where the skid was welded on to the pan. Makes for a clean look, it's nice and high and no oily mess. Then if I end up crushing the pan, my dumbass was probably goin somewhere I shouldn't have been. Which is the case with a lot of people that tear stuff up.

Quick Reply: SkidRow engine/tranny skid. Oil change question.